Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

How much do you spend on clothes in a year?

(203 Posts)
ecci53 Sat 21-Sep-19 22:51:26

Just read on another discussion where someone reckons she is frugal, spending under £150 per year on clothes. That seems like a lot to me.
I spend a lot less than that. Admittedly, I tend to frequent charity shops and jumble sales. I also think ebay is a girl's best friend-buy something nice to wear, and then sell it on when you're fed up with it.
I don't buy clothes every month and I was wondering how much other people spend on clothes in a year.

kircubbin2000 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:43:09

I've just spent £150 On 2 cashmere sweaters.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:43:15

Well in view of what we are hearing on the news with the young protesting in alarm, I would say

Very well done.

But the truth is that I spend too much.

jeanie99 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:55:25

I hate shopping so only buy clothes when I need them
I've had some smart clothes for years which are only used occasionally like when we cruise.
I've only within the last couple of years started wearing dresses. I bought a couple just recently for our next trip but they weren't expensive.
I must say though when I do buy something I am fussy, only leather boots shoes or sandals.
Don't buy for fashion only what suits me colour and style wise.
I have 5 pr of jeans in different styles which I've had years.
Same with jumpers and heavy cardigans they seem to go on forever.
The £150 doesn't seem much because I could pay £60 easily for a pr of boots.
Not sure what I spend but if I need something I buy it.
Really it's all down to what you can afford, I don't understand anyone getting into debt for fashion.

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 09:02:57

I don’t often buy new clothes but with a little friendly encouragement from some Gransnetters this month I have bought a new dress and a fluffy coat . Yikes £90 this is unknown to me . smile

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 09:03:55

Both on my CC I hasten to add . Sorry jeanie99 . shock

janeainsworth Sun 22-Sep-19 09:16:33

Like Kitty I spent years having to watch what I spent on clothes, despite working at the time.
I love clothes though and it’s a pleasure to me now that I can buy nice things if I want them. I don’t go mad though and usually wait for the sales which seem to happen quite quickly in the season. I’d rather have one thing that I really like than several things which are just ok. I spend about £1500 a year on clothes, including underwear.

And yes Maw ? I do that thing if as long as something’s been in the wardrobe for two weeks, it’s no longer ‘new’ grin
I have a special credit card for paying my hairdresser and other things which are none of MrA’s business grin

KatyK Sun 22-Sep-19 09:25:15

I've never added it up. I used to buy a lot of clothes when I was working. I retired ten years ago and am still wearing a lot of the clothes I had then. I used to be obsessed with clothes when I was younger but that's worn off. I have too many coats and shoes, some of which I've never worn. If I see a top or something I fancy, I buy it but rarely anything expensive.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Sep-19 09:25:52

Only buy knickers and the odd pair of shoes.

What's the point in buying clothes when there's a wardrobe/drawers full of them ? With something for every occasion.
My leather Hush-Puppy boots were bought in the mid-70's and cost £75 even then ! They owe me nothing.
Dozens of pairs of trousers and jumpers/tops.
It's because I've always had plenty that there's never been any need to buy anything over the years, so I've never been a drain on resources, neither have I contributed to the economy either.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:33:41

I have a big sort out of clothes every season, and if I haven’t worn something this summer at all, it will go, having said that, I do have things in my wardrobe 10+ years old, because I just go on wearing them.

Nanna58 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:38:54

£150.00 a year? Seriously? I thought it was a misprint! Just spent that on a dress and jacket!

BusterTank Sun 22-Sep-19 09:38:59

I spend about 40 pounds a year . My family guys me clothes for birthday and Christmas , so it's not as thou i go without . I still have clothes in my wardrobe I've never worn .

Aepgirl Sun 22-Sep-19 09:39:05

I tend to go, what we used to call, ‘window shopping’ and then look out in the sales for clothes that attracted me. £150 a year would certainly not cover it.

AllTheLs Sun 22-Sep-19 09:40:24

A lot more this year than usual. Mainly because I bought a Mother of the Bride outfit & accessories for this year, at the same time buying a Mother of the Groom dress for next year. My 'clothes account' is feeling the pain.

Nanna58 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:40:46

Mind you my favourite dress this year was £8 from a charity shop so suppose am not a total spendthrift! ?

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:43:33

I suppose like everything else, it depends what your priorities are.

I like nice clothes, and shoes and boots, I don’t buy as much as I used to, because we don’t go out as often, so no need for party frocks! But I still get pleasure from having nice things.

GrannySquare Sun 22-Sep-19 09:44:39

I bought clothes I really liked as my work outfits - executive cardies ;-) - & found clothing a form of self expression rather than easy corporate camouflage.

Retirement & cash ‘trickle’ means thatI have to rein spending in so I buy online, at discount (early bird browsing before the sun comes up) & only for things that I will wear within a few days. Any thing other than that is an indulgence I cannot afford.

That said, I know full too well I have enough nice good quality clothes (abundant ‘this old thing’) to last me through to my twilight years.

Fiachna50 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:45:42

Did anyone watch the Tonight programme about fashion and the damage it is causing to the environment? I remember Stacey Dooley did an excellent episode on this a while back. You will get the Tonight programme on the catch-up.

BlueSapphire Sun 22-Sep-19 09:49:09

Probably about £50 a month. I have just paid £40 for a top from Fat Face but it will have to go back as in the cold light of day the colour doesn't suit me.

Mooched around Primark yesterday and got a lovely soft V-neck jumper and a pair of leggings - £11 for the two. It does help that most of the decent clothes shops have gone from the town centre! Am on the hunt at the moment for a nice scarf to wear with a navy coat for a funeral next month.

b1zzle Sun 22-Sep-19 09:52:17

I buy from charity shops and in sales - believing that quality wins over quantity. Probable spend is somewhere between £100 - £150/year.

seacliff Sun 22-Sep-19 09:55:33

I have clothes in so many sizes that I am too big for. I kept some favourites for years, hoping I'd shrink, but now have given most away. I don't know what I spend either. I buy cheap makes of clothes usually but I spend on good leather shoes/anle boots. They can easily be £70 for ankle boots, I wait for a 20% offer usually.

oldgimmer1 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:59:36

I thought £150 was a misprint too. As a PP said, it's easy to spend £100 on a dress/jacket combo for a wedding, say.

I sometimes wonder if I've wandered into some weird parallel universe on this site.

I frequently shop for clothes and probably buy myself something every week. Nothing is on impulse. I bought a Zara jumper last week and I'm going to get a pair of Zara jeans this week. There's some nice stuff in Mint Velvet at the moment too.

I bought a John Lewis leather backpack from eBay last week and I could do with another coat.

I enjoy clothes and enjoy shopping.

I cannot imagine trying to "hide" my spending from my DP either - I've got my own bank account, my own earnings, no debt and everything I do money - wise is no-one else's concern.

seadragon Sun 22-Sep-19 10:08:03

Less than £100 a year here! I have always shopped second hand and get a real buzz out of a bargain. The £100 mostly goes on underwear.... BTW I do love clothes and lots of colour. I frequently receive compliments on the way I dress.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 10:12:49

Seadragon

You must have a very good eye for things, I’d just end up looking like a bag lady!

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Sep-19 10:14:29

This year, so far, $6 on 3 pairs of new knickers.

As I don't see any need to change or discard what I've been happily wearing for the past decade, it'll probably stay that way.

I may need a new bra in 2021 - if I live that long. grin

Theoddbird Sun 22-Sep-19 10:14:58

I shop on eBay... I only buy new if I have to...even then on eBay...example being a long sleeved tee to go under a preloved linen pinifore dress. We live in a throw away society.... I was brought up make do and mend as I am sure many of you were. I am sure I spend less than £150 a year on clothes