Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Car insurance renewal -raging!

(46 Posts)
Jane10 Tue 29-Oct-19 10:46:06

I recently had my car renewal info sent by Direct Line. It seemed a big increase. However, DH was speaking to a broker re his car (he has complicated stuff related to his vintage car and business) and they easily came up with a quote that was more than £100 cheaper, with better cover.
I was so cross that Direct Line, who I'd been with for years, was quite cynically overcharging me. Well they've lost our business and DH's (which is a big loss to them as he has a car company)
I know that its common knowledge that people should shop around for insurance, electricity, telecoms etc but surely businesses could work out that its worth appearing to give at least an impression of integrity or even, gasp, valuing existing customers.

annsixty Tue 29-Oct-19 11:02:11

It was Direct Line that sent both my H ,when he was driving, and my S , hopping mad and and looking elsewhere.
They rely on inertia from their customers, it is immoral.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Oct-19 11:24:00

Sadly, no such thing as customer loyalty paying dividends anymore Jane10

we go on line before the renewal every year, tell who we are with what the best deal is out there and surprise, surprise, rather than lose our custom they always match it!

SueDonim Tue 29-Oct-19 12:10:42

Direct Line are no different from any insurance company, in my experience. Like Urmstongran I take a little time to check out other quotes and then if the renewal is more than I expect I'll inform the insurers and give them a chance to match it. They usually do, although I've left Bank of Scotland for home insurance as they refused to budge on an outrageous renewal.

MiniMoon Tue 29-Oct-19 12:18:06

Not car insurance, but a power company.
We were shopping one day during the summer and were stopped by a young lady asking if we would like to switch energy companies.
We listened, and struck a much better deal than we currently had, so set the switch in motion there and then.

Once things had started moving , our existing energy company (Scottish Power) phoned, offering to better the deal we had with the other company.
The outcome being that we have stayed with SP and are happy with the deal.

If they can do this when we threaten to leave, why can't they offer better deals when the renewal date arrives?

Jane10 Tue 29-Oct-19 12:41:50

I doubt Direct Line would suddenly offer s discount of £100+. Even if they suddenly did I don't want to have dealings with a company who would quite happily rip me off like that. Their loss.

GabriellaG54 Wed 30-Oct-19 11:40:19

It beggars belief that neither of you, one with a car business, bothered to do due diligence regarding vehicle insurance, instead, relying on your then current provider to recognise your loyalty.
There is no such a thing as loyalty nowadays.
You have to ask and ask again.

Jane10 Wed 30-Oct-19 13:20:53

But Gabriella- we did which is how we found much better cover and rates.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Oct-19 13:47:44

Mr.Gravys car insurance came through £300 more than last year, he rang round managed to get it £320 cheaper, rang original insurance company and that matched it straight away.

All insurance companies rely on you to automatically renew, its how they make their money.

Jane10 Wed 30-Oct-19 15:55:44

Even if direct line do try to match it I'm finished with them. I'll use a broker from now on. Simpler and much cheaper.

SalsaQueen Wed 30-Oct-19 18:13:41

I'm not loyal to any company now. I shop around for the best electricity/gas, home insurance, car insurance, mobile 'phone and broadband, I get the best deal I can.

GabriellaG54 Wed 30-Oct-19 18:55:06

After many years with DL.

Iam64 Wed 30-Oct-19 19:33:48

Jane10 - both our cars are with DL. My new quote was reduced by £80 when I threatened to leave. Mr i's new quote just arrived, up by £200 - he's found another reliable company 400 less so DL are losing him. Our house insurance is with them, I moved it four years ago for half the price and when I came back was given a very good deal.
I heard on the radio recently that insurance companies are to be stopped from penalising customers who stay with them. How this can happen I don't know but I wish it would

Jane10 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:02:42

For many year DL offered the best deal. No longer it seems.

Ginny42 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:15:17

It drives me crazy that I have to spend time end energy searching for deals, otherwise companies quite cynically rip us off by simply staying with them. When you live alone, there's no second opinion; no one to say 'on balance we'd be better with ...'.

I hate that time of year when they nearly all come up for renewal at the same time.

MamaCaz Thu 31-Oct-19 07:28:28

Me too, Ginny.
Apart from the living alone bit, that is, but I might as well be for all the help i get from him in that respect!
And since my dad died a couple of years ago, i have to sort this type of thing out for my mum too. I hate it.

Davidhs Thu 31-Oct-19 08:04:17

The irony is that it must cost companies more to sign up a new customer than to retain an existing one, but they still do it because the majority of customers are suckers that don’t change.
It’s energy companies that annoy me most I have 4 supplies to negotiate. This year one company was offering new customers a discount, whereas I was expected to pay 3p a KW more as an existing customer, so they lost a customer.
Energy companies deliberately try to confuse customers by offering many different tariffs, as many as 20 by some which makes it very difficult to find the best value.

Yehbutnobut Thu 31-Oct-19 08:17:06

Weird as my quote from Direct Line this year was a few pounds cheaper than the previous year.

CassieJ Thu 31-Oct-19 09:58:57

All insurance companies do this, not just Direct Line. My car insurance was with RAC who wanted an extra £150 to cover me this year. I shopped around and got insurance with another insurer for less than I had been paying for the past year. Telephoned RAC and all they say is we can't match that! So they lost custom from me.
Also have the same each year with home insurance, they increase quote, so I go elsewhere,

It doesn't pay to stick with the same insurer, they don't value loyal customers.

silverlining48 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:19:27

I think all insurance companies work the same way as our AA renewal was over £100 more this year. Despite no claims, so I checked around and afterwards rang AA to say I was leaving. They immediately matched the reduced quote, but when later I was asked online to complete an AA survey of satisfaction I let rip about this unacceptable practice. I know, I know, I should have moved anyway because of this, but I had too much on and took the lazy option.
Beware also that most will automatically reinsure you fir the following year at the increased rate, unless you object.

Yehbutnobut Thu 31-Oct-19 10:26:58

Not all. I’ve just said mine, which oddly is Direct Line too, did not.

arosebyanyothername Thu 31-Oct-19 10:35:00

We have this every year! Renewal letter - phone call - lower offer.
DH likes the sport I just get angry.
Years ago I remember insurance going down if you hadn’t made a claim..

Jane10 Thu 31-Oct-19 21:37:57

This paying extra for'no claims bonus protection' is like an insurance on insurance! What a racket it all seems.

Grannmarie Thu 31-Oct-19 22:40:41

I believe that nobody knows how good their insurance company is until they have to make a claim.
I was so impressed with the way A.A. handled my claim that I decided I wanted to stay with them.

However, renewal quotes were too high so I did Compare the Market online, got good quotes from reliable providers like R.A.C., then made one phone call to A.A. to say that I was delighted with their service and wanted to stay with them, but, as a retired person could not afford the renewal quote. I told them what I could see online, and they did their best to match it. If they could not match it exactly price wise, they offered me an M and S voucher to make up the difference.

So, one search, one phone call, you can stay with your chosen provider.

Jane10 Fri 01-Nov-19 06:52:22

I don't want to stay with a provider who cynically tries to rip me off to such an extent. They're bandits!