Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Cashless society

(85 Posts)
Sparkling Thu 02-Jan-20 20:01:54

Has anyone gone cashless? I am getting fed up with the amount of coins weighing me down each day after purchases.
Do you just use your bank debit card for small items such as a coffee or newspaper?

BlueBelle Thu 02-Jan-20 20:30:35

Another thread about the same subject
No I don’t use my card for small purchases only bigger purchases and weekly shop
And no I don’t get weighed down by coins I spend them on small purchases

Firecracker123 Thu 02-Jan-20 20:46:27

I rarely use cash any purchases under £30 I use contactless, its so easy and convenient.

MamaCaz Thu 02-Jan-20 20:55:07

Same as BlueBelle.

tanith Thu 02-Jan-20 21:02:45

I rarely use cash, sometimes my card and sometimes I pay with my phone. This means I don’t have to carry a purse/ bag with me I figure I can’t get my bag snatched or my purse lifted if I’m not carrying them. Maybe I’m paranoid.

MamaCaz Thu 02-Jan-20 21:07:31

We need to fight to preserve the option of paying for things by cash, even if we ourselves use cashless payment methods on a regular basis.

There will always be people who, for one reason or another, cannot cope with electronic payments, and who would be even more vulnerable if we became a totally cashless society, and others for whom a slowly-accumulated and hidden stash of cash might be the only money they can access in an abusive/ controlling relationship.

Granny23 Thu 02-Jan-20 21:36:53

What about the people who do not have cards? I was a second signatory on my DH's card for years because I could not get one of my own. This was because I had no credit ing whatsoever as the only borrowing we had ever done was our Mortgage and one car bought in DH's name. There are still people who have no Bank Account at all or due to disabilities or memory loss cannot operate one. Due to the closure of my local branches, I now have to operate my accounts via internet banking with which I really struggle. I manage day to day by taking cash from the one 'hole in the wall' in the village, but it is often out of action. None of the wee local shops will accept a cheque.

notanan2 Thu 02-Jan-20 21:43:33

You can get cards with no OD/credit facility. You dont need a credit rating for a cash card. Children can get them now.

MissAdventure Thu 02-Jan-20 21:46:23

I use cash quite a lot.
I quite like it, still.

sodapop Thu 02-Jan-20 21:51:02

Just been watching some people in Sweden who don't even need cards as they have been chipped. My husband has long said it won't be long before babies are chipped at birth and all their health data etc will be available via the chip. Not so futuristic now it seems.

Norah Thu 02-Jan-20 21:51:51

Yes, I am as cashless as possible.

Oopsminty Thu 02-Jan-20 21:57:17

Hardly ever use cash these days

Chewbacca Thu 02-Jan-20 21:58:38

I prefer to withdraw a set amount of cash at the beginning of the week and I use only that amount. Bills are paid either on direct debit or online. I have no credit cards, store cards or overdrafts and prefer to use cash only so that I can keep to a tight budget.

rosenoir Thu 02-Jan-20 22:01:47

Cashless here too, so convenient.

Sparkling Thu 02-Jan-20 22:03:10

Bluebells. I checked on this thread to see if it was already being discussed and as far as I could see it wasn't. Where else should I have looked? Sorry it peeved you.
Thank you all for your answers, I always use cash but am thinking of using cards more, feel it's a lot safer than carrying cash about.

GrandmaMoira Thu 02-Jan-20 22:05:33

I'm mostly cashless. It's so easy now to use contactless except for the occasional small shop that doesn't take cards or someone like the window cleaner.

lavenderzen Thu 02-Jan-20 22:07:45

I always use a card.

Anniebach Thu 02-Jan-20 22:23:46

I use cash once a month to pay for a prescription and in the summer to pay the gardener.

Grandad1943 Thu 02-Jan-20 22:34:39

I never carry any cash these days and pay for everything by card. If a trader does not accept a card for what I wish to purchase then they do not gain my custom.

I do realise that has implications for some sectors of our society, one being the buskers on the London underground stations. I was reading that they are now disappearing as so many commuters now do not carry any cash to give them.

The above I find very sad, as for very many years on the underground system they have been one of the true talents and delights of our capital city.

CanadianGran Thu 02-Jan-20 22:35:59

We don't use a lot of cash. I tend to take some out every couple of weeks as pocket money for DH and myself. Coins tend to end up in a coffee can that gets sorted and added up once a year.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Jan-20 22:39:17

tonight programme- Cashless society (5 Posts it was in TV forum
I wasn’t peeved Sparkle just surprised as they both appeared at very similar times obviously just a coincidence

pensionpat Thu 02-Jan-20 22:40:42

Someone mentioned window cleaner. I pay mine, and my hairdresser online.

Urmstongran Thu 02-Jan-20 23:01:54

My hair salon only takes cash.
Ditto nail salon.

I wonder why?

grannyactivist Thu 02-Jan-20 23:35:52

Cash for me. I think that because I have been very poor I am reassured by having money in my purse. ?

Welshwife Fri 03-Jan-20 00:30:20

Some places will only take a card for purchases over a certain amount so cash is necessary there. I use a credit card where possible and the debit card for withdrawals and places I trust which do not accept credit cards.
I use cash for things like coffee or buying a paper. Also children need to see and use money to get a feel of its value. Some people would find themselves in debt if they were not good at calculating what they had spent and what they had left. Amid of ways to pay is good.