Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Internet scam?

(26 Posts)
TriciaF Mon 22-May-17 11:53:14

I just received an email from "Natwest" asking me to update our details before we can access their internet site.
I'm suspicious because I've never had a Natwest account. Never given them my email address. So a warning to others, it looks like a scam.

ninathenana Mon 22-May-17 11:55:04

Yes it must be. I've had similar from HSBC. I don't do internet banking.

morethan2 Mon 22-May-17 12:23:11

We had one from Barclays never used them.

Hopehope Mon 22-May-17 12:40:32

I get them all the time from various banks with which we have never been involved. I do use Internet banking often but even if I get a mail from my own bank I would never click a link. Delete anything you are not sure of and always log on to your bank in the normal way. These mails are nothing new

M0nica Mon 22-May-17 15:24:43

Even when we had an email from our own bank that we were 99% sure was OK, we still got the bank's telephone number from a bank statement and rang them to check on it, and only when they had confirmed it had come from them did we reply.

Better safe than sorry.

tonysq Tue 23-May-17 09:33:54

I have a natwest account and have never been out of my overdraft since I graduated from uni (except once a year when I got my bonus). I graduated in 2003.

Not once did Natwest tell me I was in breach of my contract. Sounds like someones trying to get you to sign up for a loan to boast their commission to be honest.

Anya Tue 23-May-17 10:32:57

Yes, these a phishing emails. Delete them.

Nelliemaggs Tue 23-May-17 11:02:44

Banks often have a fraud department that they want people to forward phishing emails to and that's what I generally do, particularly when it is a bank that I have an account with.

moobox Tue 23-May-17 11:03:53

I get those all the time but I'm not kidding, this morning's email junk offered me a franchised business opportunity to use software that would hack into international banks and remove all the money

kazziecookie Tue 23-May-17 11:11:07

Yes, scams delete them.
Anything official will always have your name on it, not just your email.

MinniesMum Tue 23-May-17 11:14:20

I get a continual stream of this rubbish. The latest one, and I have had 6 emails in two days, is telling me I have missed a Whatsapp message.
I googled it and it is a scam so if you get one, delete it. I do block sender but they all come from different addresses.
Sometimes the internet is a pain in the pinny!

Maggieanne Tue 23-May-17 11:19:18

They usually show your email address but not your name, it's usually something like "Dear member", an obvious scam.

Nona4ever Tue 23-May-17 11:21:44

I get loads of these - from all the banks, PayPal, Apple, HMRC, Amazon, Microsoft etc etc. I forward them all on to a specific address on the alleged sender's website. So this one would be forwarded on to '[email protected]' - other address formats are different e.g. '[email protected]' and all easily found on the website of the genuine organisation. It may be a drop in the ocean but I do think it's worth trying g to sabotage the activities of these scamming bastards who cause so much distress to vulnerable people.

meandashy Tue 23-May-17 11:33:49

If you can forward the email to the banks phishing department it helps them take down the scammers.
Sadly some people are taken in by these people and fleeced on a regular basis ?

Rosina Tue 23-May-17 11:40:15

Our bank sends messages to say they will never ask for any details over the internet. Neither will they phone. When I was working we often had emails from a most authentic - in fact identical looking - site, allegedly HM Revenue and Customs, informing us of a large refund if we supplied sort code, account number and passwords. I was tempted to send a scathing response but a colleague warned me off doing that as he said it can open the way for the scammers to cause further mayhem. Just delete without opening.

lilihu Tue 23-May-17 11:47:52

If you don't have time to look up the phishing address for individual banks, you can forward any and every suspected scam to the London Police dept called Action Fraud. The address is : [email protected]

They will alert the banks and help investigate the scam. They try to disable the linked phishing websites.
The more they get from the public the more they can bring down.

They seem to come in spates? Banks one week, stores the next etc. Be aware of emails pretending to be from M&S, Tesco, Waitrose, Asda etc. They are offering a free gift card, or entry to a competition. The link takes you to a fake web site where you're asked for your mobile number. This signs you up to a high cost fake comp site which sends you expensive texts that are charged to your phone.
I had 69 of these last week, I kid you not.

TriciaF Tue 23-May-17 12:04:46

Yes, I forwarded it on to [email protected] (at least I think I did.)
It was the first I've had - except it could be something to do with eldest son's problem with his emails. Last week I got a couple of emails supposedly from him, which he had never sent. I rang him to check, he said he was having problems.
These crooks are (better not say online.)

foxie Tue 23-May-17 13:15:23

Of course it is a scam. All sorts of emails from many different sources are doing the rounds purporting to be legitimate requests for information. BUT UNLESS YOU KNOW AND TRUST THE SENDER 'DO NOT RESPOND' Just delete it.

Legs55 Tue 23-May-17 13:32:05

If in doubt I always send to the relevant bank/building society. I get frequent ones from PayPal, send immediately to them.

Also never respond to ones from HMRC, they DO NOT contact you by email, send to phishing@HMRC as this helps them to combat scams.

Scam emails are usually poorly spelt, poor grammer & will often addrress you as "Dear Valued Customer" or even "Dear Value Customer" (sounds like a supermarket bargain brand).

Hopehope Tue 23-May-17 13:38:12

I have even had ones addressing me as dearest lol

Esspee Tue 23-May-17 14:44:57

I always send these emails to the company the scammers are trying to pass themselves off as just so they know what is going on in their name. I never respond and never click a link. Mostly for me it is the Inland Revenue. How I wish I had even half of the refunds the phishers promise me, the real IRS always tells me I owe them!

Esspee Tue 23-May-17 14:53:11

HMRC does sometimes send emails asking you to log on to the proper website to read communications from them. There is never a link so you are in control.
I have received a letter from the inland revenue which had some appalling grammatical mistakes which was in fact a genuine communication sent by an illiterate civil servant. .
Life is getting sooooo complicated.

Yorkshiregel Tue 23-May-17 15:17:18

A Poem I wrote. Light relief :-)

A Holiday for Four

I opened my mail and what did I see?
Out of a cast of thousands ‘They’ had chosen me!
I have won a chance to enter
A draw for a holiday in a Caribbean Centre!
My luck has changed! I feel elated
My absolute joy cannot be deflated
I dance around the house in excited glee
How brilliant is that? ‘They’ have chosen me!
I hurriedly filled in the form that they sent
Then off to the post office with the letter I went.
There was a queue a mile long, right out of the door
I was cross with myself; I should have got here before.
The clock struck ten; I would miss the first collection
My letter looked set for a ‘late rejection’
“Be quick at the front, this has to go today”
There were at least a dozen standing in the way.
The queue behind covered most of the floor
The man at the back shouted, “I’ve been here before!”
A lady said, “Well you won’t be posting that today
You may as well go home again and come another day!”
At that there was a scuffle, a crushing and a shoving
“Let me past, this is important! It has got to catch the post!
The people at the front got squashed by those that pushed the most!
“Get back and take your turn!” “Stop that pushing and a-shoving!”
“All calm down and wait a minute
Shouting and fighting won’t help, now will it?”
It was my turn next to reach the front of the queue
The Assistant said, (matter of fact like), “I must inform you
This is the hundredth letter I’ve had of this style
You will have to hold your breath for a long, long while!”
She said, “They should be banned, it just isn’t right
The Fraud Squad should come down with all their might”
“They’re professional tricksters who pray on the poor
Be wary next time one is pushed through your door!”
I felt such a fool, and so did the crowd
They’d stopped pushing and shoving and shouting out loud
They started to leave, out the door, one by one
In no time at all, all the people had gone.
I still posted my form, because I didn’t know better
In a single week I was sent eight more letters
‘Win a car’ ‘win a break’ ‘go away on a cruise’
‘Win the Jackpot’ (you crackpot) you simply can’t loose
‘Win a house’ ‘a TV’ ‘lots of books’ ‘Win some wine’
On to the mat poured this junk mail of mine.
I tore up the forms; they went in the bin
I felt so angry, I could hardly keep it in.
What a scam! What a fool, I’d believed I had won
A holiday for four in the Tropical Sun!

Frannytoo Tue 23-May-17 22:05:14

When I am in doubt I go to google and type something like NATWEST SCAMS which will then show a variety of ongoing scams. I had a nasty one about downloading music. It said I was owed money and I never download music.
Scams are well documented on Google.

norose4 Tue 23-May-17 22:21:02

Brilliant poem Yorkshiregel