Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Travel insurance

(13 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 21-Nov-17 12:01:35

Our very DDs, aware that OH is very frail now with his PD and that he loves Switzerland, are plotting to arrange a week in a Swiss chalet with all 15 of us - the idea is that we would have nothing to do in the way of carrying bags/care etc as they would all be there to help us.

Has anyone any recommendations for reasonable travel insurance? I have researched this a bit online, but it would be nice to have a recommendation. We need to be sure they would come up with the goods if something went wrong - medical care in Switzerland and return to this country would be mega-expensive. Also we need good cancellation cover as the holiday is not till next August, and who knows what fate has in store for us between now and then?

I have run a few examples online with full disclosure of medical details and at the moment it is about £300 for the two of us. I knew it would be expensive, but am more worried about the reliability than the cost at the moment.

Luckygirl Tue 21-Nov-17 12:53:00

I think I meant to say "very dear"!!

Willow500 Tue 21-Nov-17 13:01:40

Have you tried Staysure - I booked with them when we went to NZ 2 years ago. Unfortunately with pre-existing medical problems I don't think there are any which are low cost. I looked it up for me to go to the US earlier this year for work and the cost had shot up with my newly diagnosed health issue. I don't actually think £300 for both of you is that bad really. I hope you manage to go on your holiday - it sounds lovely and Switerland is beautiful.

Luckygirl Tue 21-Nov-17 13:07:04

Thanks Willow - I too think £300 is not too bad considering our health problems.

TBH, looking at my OH now lying on the sofa unable to get up, I wonder if this is all a pipe dream - but it is worth £300 to me for him to have something to look forward to.

I will try Staysure.

jeanie99 Tue 28-Nov-17 21:58:35

Just a point with Staysure if you try to claim.
When we tried to claim because the items stolen, because they were covered in our contents insurance they wouldn't pay out.
We had a mayor claim for flood damage in our home previously to this happening. We didn't want to claim on contents because this would have put our premium up so we were very very cross to think we had paid Staysure for cover and they wouldn't pay out. So the loss of money and items we had to stand.
Just a point to consider with this company.

Humbertbear Tue 28-Nov-17 22:05:31

Do make sure you declare all pre existing conditions when you take out the travel insurance since if you do have to claim, and I hope you won’t, they get a copy of your medical records from your GP. And they will do everything they can to avoid paying out. Be grateful for a quote of £300. My husband can’t get a quote at all. I hope you get there. Alternatively, how about a large property here decorated with pictures of Switzerland and you can serve cheese fondue?

Marydoll Tue 28-Nov-17 22:16:14

I changed from Staysure to All Clear. I had been with Staysure for years, but every time I had a routine x-ray or test at my rheumatology clinic, my insurance was suspended until I got the results. It was getting ridiculous, as my GP was chasing results, so that I could go on holiday.
All Clear was also less expensive.

Luckygirl Tue 28-Nov-17 22:20:10

Thanks for the advice, and for warning re StaySure. OH has so many problems that I suspect it will not be too hard for ins co to wriggle out. I declared everything I could think of for the quote - but I think I might log into his medical records with the GP to check that I have it all.

Elizabeth1 Fri 15-Dec-17 06:40:21

I struggled to get travel insurance once I had an increased collection of health problems then I found [email protected]. I do have to pay an extra premium which is well affordable and gives me peace of mind when on holiday. Best to give the insurance company all the info you have re health issues. Good luck in finding an insurance company which suits your needs.

cornergran Fri 15-Dec-17 21:51:24

lucky I don’t suppose you have travel cover with a bank account? We do via M&S. We have to pay an extra premium to cover pre existing conditions but still cheaper than starting from scratch. I hope you can be confident in one soon. As you say it would give your husband something concrete to look forward to. You too smile. I’d love to hear you had been on your holiday.

Iam64 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:17:01

I’ve found Just Travel helpful and reasonably priced. They have people in the north east answering the phone who talk through the questions they ask in a clear and calm way. I’d spent some time finding most firms wanted me to complete an on line application form, much prefer to speak to someone who is efficient and friendly

Nandalot Fri 15-Dec-17 22:25:03

We have just got a year’s travel insurance with Age UK. We were Staysure before but because we are going on a cruise for our 50thanniversary that has stops in Mexico and Columbia it was going to be £790! Age U.K. was still v. expensive but about £300cheaper so might be worth looking at them.

FarNorth Fri 15-Dec-17 22:49:08

Once you have bought a travel insurance policy, be sure to notify them if you or OH has any change in your health.

Unfortunately, it varies between companies what they need to be told about (I read in a Which magazine at the hairdresser).

Some want to be told if there is a visit to the GP re concerns, even if you only get advice.
Some want to be told if any tests are done.
Some only need to know once a new illness is diagnosed.

So check up what your chosen company's rules are on that.