Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Changing Bank

(56 Posts)
Marmight Mon 19-Feb-18 08:47:27

I have been with my present bank, the RBS, for 37 years but for reasons various, I need to change. Any ideas? I need to have access to a local branch with approachable staff - joke grin. I'm fed up with not being able to access my own money without going through the 3rd degree from an uneducated, customer averse 4th former who trots out the Bank's 'pro forma' before engaging the brain. I've spent more tearful hours on the phone than I care to, wading through red tape in order to get absolutely nowhere. There appears to be the usual selection on my new local High Street but I am stumped. Has anyone heard of Handelsbanken? I just want a Bank where my custom is appreciated, life is simple and I'm not blinded with 1000 possibilities and I'm treated as a human, not a number and, most importantly, be able to have easy access to my own funds.

Pittcity Mon 19-Feb-18 09:02:07

We use Metro Bank who have gone back to old fashioned branch service with simple accounts. You can walk in and you will come out with everything sorted. They are open 7 days a week and print cards and cheque books while you wait. They will even take a piggy bank full of change with no fuss.
We also have a First Direct online only account which is really easy to use. I love the fact that you can phone them and a human answers immediately!
Both banks dealt with all the switching from previous accounts with minimum effort on our part.

Charleygirl Mon 19-Feb-18 09:05:41

I also was with the RBS for over 50 years and when I moved, not a word was said. I now have accounts with Santander and TSB and what a difference- I am treated like a human being and the staff are friendly.

whitewave Mon 19-Feb-18 09:10:44

I change my bank as often as necessary - interest rates generally prompt me.

Same as my energy provider, as often as necessary.

It is all really straight forward.

Which report is a good place to start or martins money or one of those sites.

busybee6969 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:01:08

halifax for us hubby and i both disabled they help us no end understand when we ask daft question we really should know. see us in que in branch rush over to see if they can help away from the counter to stop us standing in the que. always have a few kind words for us ,

Smithy Mon 19-Feb-18 10:02:54

Hardly dare say it, but I'm very happy with the Halifax, having changed to them a few years back. I have a branch with helpful staff I can go to, there is no monthly charge and they pay me a small monthly amount as long as my account is in credit at the end of the month.
They also have there own cash back scheme with tailored offers and no overseas call centre.

lovebooks Mon 19-Feb-18 10:07:46

Do all my banking online - no probs.

LJP1 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:23:17

Not HSBC now. Too many staff changes with new ones not being experienced enough to cope with any but the commonest problems.

goose1964 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:23:59

we have a Natwest locally, always busy, efficient staff etc they're closing down in the summer. Loads of people have complained but er're told the decision is made, and we can always go to the next town over which has an hourly bus service and costs about a fiver.

There are a lot of nondrivers here. elderly people who either never drove or no longer can . These people on the whole are not able to bank online as they are computer illiterate, oh and the library is closing down too so no access. to computers anyway

Please factor how long it would take to get to alternative branchesshould yoursa close

Ranworth1 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:25:12

Handelsbanken is great - and my daughter works for them. Customers are indeed treated like individuals, just like the banks in our youth !

MawBroon Mon 19-Feb-18 10:30:48

I have recently moved from HSBC TO RBS as they were so helpful, friendly and efficient when Paw died so I suspect it comes down to branch staff but the Bereavement Team, or whatever they were called, also went the extra mile on my behalf.
Everybody will have a favourite or indeed a sad story to tell, so I would say ask around locally, pop into a branch and assess the level of customer service you are seeing.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 19-Feb-18 10:32:54

My daughter living independently with a learning disability uses TSB and they are wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble and they greet her by name, chat with her about let’s say, her cat, and the manager even sat with her and helped her order something on the Internet. She has never been overdrawn, a quick call from them when funds are low and a suggestion to transfer from another account.

Rosina Mon 19-Feb-18 10:33:14

We banked with the Co op for any years and found them to be an ethical and efficient bank (scandal about chairman notwithstanding!)
However they closed the busy well used branch in our town so we changed to Nationwide; they seem to be helpful and efficient so I would certainly recommend them. We have a 'FlexDirect' account which is completely free and if you have more than £1,000 paid into your account every month you get an interest payment.

tanith Mon 19-Feb-18 10:36:08

I've been with Santander for years and I'm very happy with them, their 123 account has earned me a lot of interest over the years on my current accounts. Their online banking is seemless and very user friendly in fact I now do all my banking on either my iPad or the mobile app on my phone.

Craftycat Mon 19-Feb-18 10:51:01

Haven't been into a branch for 20 years or more. First Direct are brilliant & we have never had a problem with them. Excellent customer service & always friendly & helpful & available 24/7, 365 days a year

curlilox Mon 19-Feb-18 10:51:07

I was with HSBC for over 30 years. The last straw was when they took £25 from my account for requesting an overdraft twice in 6 months. I had NEVER requested an overdraft from them and had plenty of funds in my account. I had great difficulty getting a refund. I moved to TSB and what a difference. Staff are so friendly and I even get 3% interest on my account (zero at HSBC). Why didn't I move years ago?

mischief Mon 19-Feb-18 10:52:29

First Direct have had the highest customer service rate for years. It is an online bank but you can talk to very helpful people 24/7. I have been with them for 17 years and I wouldn't change. You can get your money out or pay in at any post office. Brilliant.

Tessa101 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:55:03

Big vote for Santander in my branch they are very approachable and helpful. Online, it’s easy to get thru and chat and move money about without jumping thru hoops. Real people to speak to.

Christalbee Mon 19-Feb-18 11:01:26

I've been with Lloyds for the last 50 years, and always found them very helpful with no petty rules and regs. I usually don't need to visit a branch because I use online banking. However, recently went into branch (Poole, Dorset) to withdraw substantial amount of cash for a new car. They saw me straight away switched the money from one account to another and paid me the cash straight away. I had to produce my card and answer a security question. That was it and off I went to get my nice new shiney aquisition! No problems.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 19-Feb-18 11:06:39

Have a look at Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert
www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts

I changed to tsb after reading his advice.

JaneD3 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:12:40

Santander is my choice - human beings and plenty of branches around here. I like the interest on the 123 account too

Camelotclub Mon 19-Feb-18 11:13:31

Nationwide aren't bad.

Oldwoman70 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:17:53

I am also with Santander. I have the choice of several branches (although I tend to use the same one) and their online banking is very easy to use.

starlily106 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:21:45

I'm with Barclays but because of all the branch closures and staff being replaced by machines I am thinking of changing. Although there is a cashier in my nearest branch there is usually a queue waiting to be served, and if I need to use some of the machines I usually have to wait for help as there may only be 1 staff member to help. I also dont use the self service tills in shops as im afraid i just dont like them.

gmelon Mon 19-Feb-18 11:24:58

You are fortunate to have a choice in your local area. All ours shut down.

I woukd suggest visiting each branch and assessing the atmosphere.

Have a brief chat about moving accounts to them or just observe the staff handling their customers and judge how suitable the banch woukd be for you.

If it's the personal touch you are after in branch then this may be how to find out more and see where you are comfortable.