Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Paying household bills in cash?

(13 Posts)
MamaCaz Mon 06-Apr-20 21:20:23

I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me.

I have a relative, in her late 80s, who pays all her bills in cash. She has a building society account, but no bank account, therefore no bank or credit cards of any description, and not even a cheque book!
I don't know if her state pension is paid into that account, or if she still collects it weekly from a Post Office, but each week she takes cash out to pay for whatever she needs to buy or to pay any bills that are due - my mum discovered last week that she even goes and pays her council tax in cash , in one payment, as soon as it is due each year!

As far as we can work out, she normally goes to the nearest big town to pay all her bills, which I suppose will be her phone, energy and water bills. We don't know where she pays them, but my mum seems to think that there used to be some sort of shop in the bus station where she went to do this, though she doesn't know if that is still the case.

This is where I was hoping someone might be able to enlighten me, because I had no idea that such places existed: what sort of shop might it be where household bills could be paid in cash?

The more we know, the better, because she is going to have to be persuaded that because of Covid 19 (which she has studiously ignored, even stopping watching television because the coverage of the virus annoyed her), she can no longer go and pay her bills like that, and that quite possibly, the place she would usually go will not even be open. She had no idea that most shops are now closed!.

MissAdventure Mon 06-Apr-20 21:25:19

The 'Nisa' shop here take cash for bills, and I think Sainsbury's, too.

Newsagents usually do, too.
They have a sign outside if they do whatever it's called.

MissAdventure Mon 06-Apr-20 21:29:05

Just remembered, the sign says 'Paypoint'.

CherryCezzy Mon 06-Apr-20 21:30:15

Utility bills can still be paid at a post office though there is an additional charge. There are some shops that have a pay system, they usually have a sign. I can't remember what the exact term for this system is. I think it is the one that allows pay as you go top ups etc.

MamaCaz Mon 06-Apr-20 21:30:37

Ah, right - so are these the sort of shops that will still be open?

CherryCezzy Mon 06-Apr-20 21:31:04

Yes, Paypoint.

MissAdventure Mon 06-Apr-20 21:33:36

Yes, I think a lot of corner type shops do it - maybe the co-op.
You could probably Google shops in the area to see which ones do.

Chewbacca Mon 06-Apr-20 21:36:19

Co Op stores and some corner shops have Pay point facilities. And you can pay a lot of bills over the counter at the Post Office too.

MamaCaz Mon 06-Apr-20 21:41:59

Hmm. I've just found one in the village she lives in, but it seems to be closed because of the virus.
Any others, including the one she must usually use, would mean taking the bus, which she really shouldn't be doing now. However, she is very stubborn and extremely stuck in her ways, so if her usual place is still open, it might prove impossible to persuade her to consider any other options!

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:44:30

An aunt of mine before she died about 3 years ago also used to shuffle around paying bills in cash. I do know that she made use of a local PO for that purpose. She would have paid extra to pay bills because she wanted to walk as she "needed the exercise". It was so frustrating but then she was admitted to a home so the normal bill paying was no longer her problem.

MamaCaz Mon 06-Apr-20 21:53:26

Thanks for all your replies.
I plan to phone the relative in question quite soon, and it could be really useful to have all this information to hand. smile

M0nica Tue 07-Apr-20 10:46:18

Would she be willing to let you pay the bills for her, if her usual shop is shut.

I know there will only be an outside chance of this, I had an aunt like this, she had a cheque book but wouldn't get a cheque card because 'everyone knew who she was and had been taking her cheques for years'. She......., no, don'tget me started!

MamaCaz Tue 07-Apr-20 15:57:54

No way, Monica, I'm afraid.
She won't even consider giving my mum, her closest relative in both senses (second cousins, 3 miles apart), a house key to use in case of emergency, so no way is she likely to relax the purse strings.
I think that she would, quite literally, sooner die!