Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Fraudulent use of residential addresses.

(15 Posts)
welbeck Thu 11-Aug-22 13:28:29

it could be you !
there is widescale registering of companies to random residential addresses.
the aim may be to get business loans from banks or other credit fraud. it is organised crime.
there are no checks on information submitted to companies house to set up a company.
but the occupier of the house has to prove they are not connected with the company, and in order to remove a director's address, has to go to the expense and trouble of getting a court order.
see radio 4, you and yours, today, 11.aug.22.
www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0019z2g

Blossoming Thu 11-Aug-22 22:58:08

Scary stuff.

Chestnut Fri 12-Aug-22 00:03:06

there are no checks on information submitted to companies house to set up a company.
Well there darn well should be. I use Companies House and I get the feeling it is just an automated website run by computer logarithms. It records dates accurately, and sends reminders that it's time to send them information. But they don't actually DO anything. If you ask them something they are no help at all, they are just an automated service.

Baggytrazzas Fri 12-Aug-22 00:15:15

Hi welbeck, I don't usually open links posted, but wondered how this fraud is possible? Would the information not be posted to the home address of the company directors, ie the addresses belonging to someone else?

And the banks would definitely need carry out checks on who lives in the addresses given, and might even need to carry out a valuation, so I'm not sure how this could work in real life.

BigBertha1 Fri 12-Aug-22 07:34:43

I was listening by to this programme with horror yesterday. I couldn't understand the people who had received 20 or more letters in other names from places such as the DVLA and not acted.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 12-Aug-22 07:41:50

Well it is happening in real life and I expect now that anyone who gets a letter with a strange name or Company name on it, but with their correct address, won’t just put it into the recycling, thinking that it’s just an error, but will take it further.

I imagine you contact the Police?

lemsip Fri 12-Aug-22 07:57:21

Rip Off Britain yesterday, a lady kept getting letters for motoring offence fines, her address but not her name so she ignored them as she didn't even have a car. The bailiffs turned up one day and went away after she explained... she then contacted DVLA to inform them she didn't have a car. Never ignore these letters, get in touch.
it seems people do this to avoid insuring there cars and avoid fines. no checks are ade

Curlywhirly Fri 12-Aug-22 08:38:29

Lemsip this happened to my son; he received lots of letters regarding motor offences - not in his name, or his car registration, but his address. Each letter was replied to telling the sender that the person involved had never lived at my sons address. Finally he wrote to the DVLA to explain what was happening - they wrote back and said that they had checked their paperwork, and my sons address was definitely the one that had been submitted. However, due to the circumstances outlined by my son they said would remove the address from their records. This was 2 years ago. Despite this, he received a letter last month informing him that bailiffs were about to take action - he replied to their letter explaining the problem, and they confirmed that no further action will be taken. Hopefully, this will be the end of the matter!

tickingbird Fri 12-Aug-22 08:38:50

If I ever receive mail addressed to someone else but my my address I always write “not known at this address” and post it back in the post box.

Fleurpepper Fri 12-Aug-22 08:44:18

Of course there are other cases too. Like those who live abroad and use a relative's address so they can use the NHS (see other thread), or get other benefits, and subscribe to car and other insurances fraudulently (as they live abroad and are no longer resident in UK).

Chestnut Fri 12-Aug-22 09:37:49

tickingbird

If I ever receive mail addressed to someone else but my my address I always write “not known at this address” and post it back in the post box.

Me too! I never throw anything in the bin. Ignoring mail addressed to someone else won't make the problem go away, you have to act on it.

welbeck Wed 17-Aug-22 12:42:24

further on this now, on You & Yours, radio4, 12;40pm, wed 17th aug.

Elizabeth27 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:55:01

I was sent two car registration documents, my address not my name, and vehicles I did not own.

Spent 45 minutes on hold with DVLA, passed around various departments, and was finally told to destroy them or send them back to them.

I asked for an email or letter stating that I had informed them in case of traffic offenses or crimes using the vehicles. I was then told to write to them and they would reply.

It took a month for them to reply to me sending back the reg docs.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Aug-22 13:00:15

Some years ago I had a spate of letters from various car insurance companies addressed to Asian-sounding people at my home (in an area which attracts low premiums). I contacted each insurer and only one showed any interest in pursuing it.

welbeck Wed 17-Aug-22 13:01:17

it doesn't get any better.
the system for trying to correct the information seems to be circular, as companies house keep seeking to get the approval of the directors to change anything, or to serve documents on them.
listen to the piece. i can't explain it properly.
Shari Val is a v experienced investigator, who has uncovered many major frauds and injustices.
she said there is no way to stop it happening to you.
you just have to keep checking your credit history, and companies house listings.