Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

WASPI Latest

(12 Posts)
LizzieDrip Fri 19-Aug-22 11:30:06

The ombudsman’s enquiry into the Great Pension Robbery has finished stage 1, finding there was maladministration. Enquiry has now moved on to stage 2 to decide if this constitutes an ‘injustice’. If this is upheld, stage 3 will be to recommend how the injustice can be addressed e.g. compensation. About time, although too late for the 200,000+ women who have died waiting for their stolen pensionangry

www.mirror.co.uk/money/boost-waspi-state-pension-campaign-27772301.amp

Chardy Fri 19-Aug-22 11:38:17

Liz Truss has said she's no interest in doing anything about it.

LizzieDrip Fri 19-Aug-22 11:50:36

I’m sure she hasn’t (not that I believe a word she says). I’ve waited 6 years - I will continue to wait with interest.

LizzieDrip Fri 19-Aug-22 11:52:24

hasn’t got any interest in doing anything about it that is. The way I worded that could be misinterpreted.

biglouis Sat 20-Aug-22 17:27:01

Has anyone ever legally challenged the other great pension robbery whereby we have an "old" and a "new" state pension.

What this effectively means is that those of us who are older (and have therefore put more into the community) get less money than those who have not contributed as much.

Just another scam among many.

LizzieDrip Sun 21-Aug-22 09:56:16

Take your point but those claiming ‘old’ pension got it for 6 years longer.

Casdon Sun 21-Aug-22 10:02:33

LizzieDrip

That was the entitlement then though LizzieDrip so it’s not inherently unfair. What is wrong is that older pensioners, particularly women, without any other source of income receive so little money from their state pension that they do not have enough money to live on.

LizzieDrip Sun 21-Aug-22 10:28:42

I agree. I’m not saying it’s ‘unfair’ that older women got their pension at 60 - just making the point. Women born in the 50s and earlier were victims of historical gender discrimination in the workplace (if they were allowed to work at all). We are all now suffering from this. Absence of workplace pensions and low state pensions create a ‘perfect storm’ for an entire generation of women. You’re right OP - we have all been scammed.

Chardy Sun 21-Aug-22 12:02:32

LizzieDrip

Sorry, that's not correct. I lost 2.5 years, retired 2015, am on old basic pension.
New pension is for those who retired after April 2016.

biglouis Sun 21-Aug-22 14:01:25

Women born in the 50s and earlier were victims of historical gender discrimination in the workplace

True!

I worked in a profession and was employed by the local authority. However it was well know that no woman in that workplace would ever be promoted above a certain grade. The argument was that a woman was not "the breadwinner" so even women who chose not to marry suffered discrimination even though they were the so-called breadwinner.

That was only breached when the Equal Pay Act came in 1970 and the union had the balls to push it. I was one of the first women to be promoted above the former "glass ceiling".

LizzieDrip Wed 24-Aug-22 09:07:30

^Sorry, that's not correct. I lost 2.5 years, retired 2015, am on old basic pension.
New pension is for those who retired after April 2016.^

Wow, Chardy that’s awful - you’ve been caught between two national pension scamssad Absolutely disgraceful!

Chakotay Fri 26-Aug-22 20:06:25

biglouis

Has anyone ever legally challenged the other great pension robbery whereby we have an "old" and a "new" state pension.

What this effectively means is that those of us who are older (and have therefore put more into the community) get less money than those who have not contributed as much.

Just another scam among many.

Put more into the community??? and get less than those who have not contributed as much what rot, I paid NICS for I month shy of 51 full tax years before I got mine what woman who got theirs at 60 paid in for as many years as I had to? none, even those who started drawing their pensions in 2016 would have only been 63 at pension age

And its also not true that all pensioners who got theirs pre 2016 get less than people on the new full pension, pre 2016 people could pay into what ever second state pensions where active during their working life, GRB, SERPS, S2P could all increase the amount someone gets, yes and before you say it not all women could do that, but they had the OPPORUNITY an opportunity that has been denied to younger pensioners.

I get my pension under the new rules due to the Second state pensions I paid into pre 2016 I get more than the new full rate but then my pension was CAPPED in 2016 as I had already accrued more than the new amount, I paid NICs for 4 full tax years (nearly 5) without an extra penny on my pension I should be getting more than my husband as I paid in for more years but I get less due to the cap, in fact younger pensioners with little or no NICs history pre 2016 will NEVER get the same pension as some older pensioners and will have to pay in for much longer as the pension age continues to rise, and PLEASE do not forget older pensioners can claim pension credit if entitled to, younger pensioners on the new full pension and nothing else will always be denied this even though their pension is only a couple of £s more than PC threshold