Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Nectar card fraud!

(11 Posts)
Forlornhope Fri 19-Aug-22 12:57:21

Between visiting Sainsburys last Friday and going today someone has registered our card in their name ie our nectar card is in someone else’s name, and spent all the points on eBay. We’ve reported it and the card has been cancelled. Shame about the week’s food shopping worth of points we thought we had! The nectar card goes from home to Sainsburys on a Friday, nowhere else.

GrandmaKT Fri 19-Aug-22 13:01:14

Surely if the Nectar people acknowledge that it was fraud they should restore your points for you?

Forlornhope Fri 19-Aug-22 13:05:01

They are investigating they say, and can’t comment on restoring points at this stage. I suppose we could be fraudulently claiming our nectar card details have been stolen.

LizzieDrip Fri 19-Aug-22 13:10:15

I had a somewhat similar incident with my Iceland Bonus card about 6 months ago. I only had a ‘digital’ card; had never received a ‘real’ one through the post. I didn’t think anything of it. Used my digital card regularly and kept it topped up with money. Then one day, went to use it to pay for online shopping and the card was empty. Over £60 had been spent using my card. I contacted Iceland immediately and they were brilliant. They investigated it and told me my card had been used fraudulently. Card cancelled; money fully refunded and new card arrived in post. It has made me wary of putting money on the Bonus Card again though.

Forlornhope Fri 19-Aug-22 13:24:44

Thank you Lizzie, that’s cheering. Yes, we won’t be building up to getting more than half a pound of carrots on the card in future.

lemsip Sat 20-Aug-22 10:08:58

I wonder if it's worth having a nectar card? I have 277 point on it which is £1.38 pence!

Galaxy Sat 20-Aug-22 10:23:14

I think only worth it if you do regular big shops there which I dont. I am the same lemsip no idea how much is on it but will be pennies. However that must have been unpleasant forlorn and I hope you get it sorted, a weeks free shopping is not to be sniffed at especially at the moment.

Largolass Sat 20-Aug-22 10:52:54

A few months ago our Nectar card was fraudulently used in London and Birmingham and we lost most of our points. We did get our points reimbursed and extra ones were added as compensation.

Oldbat1 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:22:19

I only use mine at Sainsburys and local fuel station. I used to build points up for the Christmas food shop but the points halved I think over last couple of years. I don’t bother with any other cards.

Forlornhope Sat 20-Aug-22 21:32:48

Someone told me that nectar cards are very vulnerable to fraud because they don’t have a chip. Apart from the loss of ‘free’ groceries it is so dispiriting that there are low life types out there who think defrauding pensioners, or anyone, is acceptable behaviour.

Gingerrice Sat 27-Aug-22 19:57:41

This happened to me too but Nectar reinstated my points when they investigated. Hope same happens for you !