Gransnet forums

Local

Are you still working after 60?

(12 Posts)
Madrigal Sat 09-Mar-13 08:25:23

What do you think about having to keep working past 60? Or would you rather spend more time with the grandkids? What's your plan for a happy retirement? bit.ly/YKocoR

Par4TheCourse Wed 13-Mar-13 19:12:23

I think , after a really hectic working life, that is it essential to keep doing some form of work ( even if it is unpaid) for the sake of the mental health of not just me, but those around me grin. One of my current roles is as Handicap Secretary, helping to run Golf Comps. This is despite our little team never ceases to be amazed at how undervalued volunteers can be - I think anyone who does similar work will experience treatment that would have everyone in paid employment walking out of the door . ( I feel SO much better for getting that off my chest!)wine

Wayfinder Wed 13-Mar-13 20:20:11

I would keep on working if I enjoyed my current job, but unfortunately I don't!

Having spent my 'second working life' (ie post-children) running my own business, I find the pettiness of a public sector office environment almost unbearable, and so I will retire when I hit state pension age later this year.

I will use the safety net of my state pension to take my time to build up my own classes again, and gradually create a new income doing my own thing once again.

(A combination of needing a new challenge + the economic crash + taking a risk that didn't work is the reason I ended up being an employee rather than self-employed a couple of years ago)

So, my 'third working life' will be enabled by 'retirement' grin

Beancounter Thu 14-Mar-13 17:56:01

What a shame, Wayfinder - we spend so much time at work its a waste if you dont enjoy it. However, I finished my paid working life in the public sector and it often drove me to drink wine . I couldn't believe the pseudo political correctness - at one point we couldn't ask for black coffee, it had to be coffee without milk!

Hope your enjoy your "third working life"

Madrigal Sat 16-Mar-13 17:56:43

I finished my last full-time job in the public sector too - it nearly finished me off! I would never go back to a local authority. Over the last three years I've worked freelance, which, although financially precarious, is far more pleasant than being an employee. I recently did a few months working for the NHS but after the first few weeks I was itching to get away. Lovely people, but I just didn't like the bureaucracy.

I can retire soon, and I'm looking forward to not working at all over the summer - except for my pet projects and some volunteering. Like you, Wayfinder and Par4thecourse I can't imagine not doing some form of work and I feel very thankful that I've reached a point in my life when I have a choice.

Wayfinder Sat 16-Mar-13 18:18:22

I couldn't agree more Madrigal
I am thankful too that I will be able to focus on work that gives me pleasure and a sense of fulfilment.
I had that for many years with my own business, but I don't regret selling up and heading out on a new adventure, even though it didn't work out long-term and forced my back into slavery being an employee grin
I have plans to train as a facilitator of a dance/exercise form that I love, and hope to get my baby yoga and children's yoga classes off the ground, having trained to teach them in the last couple of years, but not having been in a position to focus on them because of the need to earn enough to survive on wink
My state pension will give me the safety net I need to let classes grow until they actually provide a decent supplementary income. Thankful indeed smile

Madrigal Sun 17-Mar-13 17:19:24

I think that's great. I wish you huge success!

jeanie99 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:23:48

I retired at 62 yrs I could have retired at 60 but I husband was still working so I retired just before he did and the money came in useful.

I liked my job but I was ready to move on with the rest of my life I didn't miss the work though just the people.

Life goes on and in the 6 years since I retired so many people have left that it's a different department.

Being retired just means I have the freedom to do all the things I wanted to do but didn't have the time to do in my working life.

I learned to sail and ride a bike since retiring.

I've done months of traveling all over the world, yes retirement is great I'd never go back to work.

I've done voluntary work but wouldn't want to take on a big commitment I wouldn't want to let anyone down.

Madrigal Mon 22-Apr-13 14:55:21

Yes, I understand how you feel about making a longer commitment to things. I'm tending to do short projects so I don't feel that my new-found freedom is being curtailed too much. I'm going to house sit in France for 10 days next month. That's a fantastic way to travel and experience life in other parts of the world - even other parts of the UK - and all you need to do is get there!

Vonnie76 Sat 13-Aug-16 08:08:40

I'm still working having turned 60 this year and will be working through to met retirement age of 66. Having been widowed 10 years ago and with only a small pension, I don't feel I have a lot of choice. However, I have a good job so it could be a lot worse.

EnglishRose Mon 27-Feb-17 23:13:50

Yes I'm working, but I can do it mainly from my home, lucky me!

How about a Meet Up!

M0nica Tue 28-Feb-17 14:16:47

I am not still working, although I do a lot of voluntary work, but DH (aged 73) is, and is currently standing on a dockside somewhere in The Netherlands. He is fortunate. He is a chartered engineer and works on a consultancy basis so he only accepts work he wants when he wants it.

Does it stop us spending time with our grandchildren? Not really, they live 200 miles away, and, dare I admit it, our grandchildren are part of our lives, but not all of it and we both have a whole range of activities that occupy our time and the two weave their ways around each other.