Gransnet forums

Local

Computers

(8 Posts)
GinnyTonic Wed 13-Mar-13 19:43:44

What is your attitude towards computers? I am surrounded by technology - our house has several laptops, two Ipads, 2 Kindles, 1 Nexus. I love it but think we may be in danger of not speaking to each other. I was horrified shock last night to see a younger friend on her mini Ipad at the dinner table, then explaining that she FaceTimed her kids when they are upstairs and she is downstairs. What are your views?

Wayfinder Wed 13-Mar-13 21:02:15

Good lord!! FaceTiming upstairs has got to be a step too far, surely?
I live on my own and only have my trusty MacBook, but I must confess it is online the whole time I am in, and I can't remember the last time I watched a TV programme (or even ate a meal blush) without simultaneously tapping away on the keyboard (when home alone). I have given up Tweeting about programmes I'm watching though. Therein lies madness!
I did find recently, when my single daughter came to stay for a few weeks, and also last year when I was staying with a friend in Doha for 6 weeks, that we tended to sit on the sofa of an evening with the TV on but each on our laptops. It can lead to interaction, when you share something amusing or interesting, and on occasion even lead to abandoning the laptops and having a real discussion!
I do however think that iPads, smart phones, laptops etc. should be banned from the dining table if you are eating with anyone else. I wouldn't dream of reading at the table when I have company, even close family, and that is all about manners and courtesy.

Rigmarole Tue 02-Apr-13 21:17:02

Absolutely yes to banning all manner of phones/ipads etc from the dining table! Though otherwise I'm all for them. Made life so much easier in terms of flexible working, internet shopping (only when it works of course!), booking appointments, checking hotel reviews, oh the list goes on.

GinnyTonic Fri 05-Apr-13 14:42:48

My favourite use is definitely seeing our granddaughter on Facetime

juneh Wed 17-Apr-13 20:13:04

Hi thought I would pop across from Gransnet Conwy for a trip out. I am looking for ideas hope that's OK. It's nice to take a trip out. Desperate to get my forums up and running. such fun!
cupcake smile Maybe you could come see me sometime?

juneh Wed 17-Apr-13 20:17:18

Sorry should have stuck with computers theme and I forgot to say I am obsessed with mine, also have a little note pad. Generally have facebook with my home page on, a blog for my writing and now the Gransnet spinning about. Afraid my hubby is a saint to suffer my relationship with my computer. hmm

Wayfinder Wed 17-Apr-13 22:27:05

Hello juneh Thank you for paying a visit to Sunny Worthing by the sea sunshine
Of course we'll pay you a visit ... if you throw in wine wink

ItsOnlyNan Thu 18-Apr-13 17:02:16

Spend lots of time on the computer - daily on Facebook, and design cards and scrapbooks. I also make jewellery and use the computer as a radio/tv while I work!! I'm listening to a play as I type. Don't know what I'd do without the computer. I also have a laptop and smartphone - my daughter has borrowed my netbook. I live alone so it's a big part of my social life. I taught one of my neighbours to use a computer and he's going great guns - uses it to expand his collection of classic DVDs and CDs and to book holidays and outings for him and his partner. We both turned up with vouchers when we went for a meal last night!