Gransnet forums

Local

Caring

(6 Posts)
Noora Sat 06-Apr-13 15:22:06

It certainly seems to have impacted on family life as we know it. I loved to go and stay with my gran. Wouldn't be able to do that nowadays. Perhaps we should all go visit Mr Cameron and his cronies. They've probably got a few spare rooms!

GinnyTonic Fri 05-Apr-13 14:24:32

I have just one son. Don't know how daughter-in-law would feel about me moving in!
Very good point from Madgrigal about bedroom tax affecting occasional visits from grans. Hadn't thought about that.

Noora Thu 14-Mar-13 21:02:03

I lived in the Middle East for many years and was friendly with a lot of Arab families. Um (mother in Arabic) was put before everyone. It was a given that she lived with the eldest son and what she said was law. Quite interesting to observe. They did however have the luxury of large houses and lots of help. Bit tough on the eldest son but then they left everything to their wives!
Just keep telling yourself you are doing the best you can and have some 'you' time regularly.

Noora Thu 14-Mar-13 21:00:22

I lived in the Middle East for many years and was friendly with a lot of Arab families. Um (mother in Arabic) was put before everyone. It was a given that she lived with the eldest son and what she said was law. Quite interesting to observe. They did however have the luxury of large houses and lots of help. Bit tough on the eldest son but then they left everything to their wives!
Just keep telling yourself you are doing the best you can and have some 'you' time regularly.

Madrigal Thu 14-Mar-13 12:16:12

I do feel for the women - it's usually women - who are in the squashed middle, caring for old and young simultaneously. I wonder how the government's 'bedroom tax' will affect families who would like to bring mum or dad into their homes to care for them from time to time but aren't allowed to have a spare room?

GinnyTonic Wed 13-Mar-13 20:15:28

Are you a carer? Do you find it rewarding. frustrating or both?
Are you at that point where you are both caring for grandchildren and for aged relatives? Any good tips for dealing with those difficult times? My hubby is brilliant with my Mum - he jokes that he invited her for the weekend & she has stayed over 30 years smile. We rub along by giving each other as much space as possible - we are fortunate that Mum has her own sitting room etc.