Gransnet forums

Local

Does providing full time day care for your grandchildren appeal?

(3 Posts)
Madrigal Sun 24-Mar-13 09:38:02

This piece in The Guardian made me wonder how many grandparents dread that looking after the grandchildren could turn out to be more of a duty than a pleasure? Do some children simply assume that their parents will provide daycare?
www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/22/grandparents-asked-to-be-childminders

numberplease Fri 12-Apr-13 17:04:11

Until last September, I looked after my youngest grandchild, but in September he started school. And I don`t half miss him! I loved having him, he`d been coming here daily since he was 8 and a half months old, before that we used to babysit him fairly frequently. I did sometimes feel that we were being put upon, but didn`t make waves because I didn`t want him to stop coming. I had previously looked after 4 other grandchildren, but that was several years ago, when I was a bit younger. I probably would think twice nowadays about taking on a baby full time, but don`t mind babysitting now and again.

jeanie99 Thu 18-Apr-13 21:57:23

Providing full time child care is a huge commitment, it would take over your life completely. I guess if your children are in a fix and can't afford child care it would be difficult to refuse.

I don't have grandchildren but if we did it would be difficult as we have a full life with lots of interests we are out and about most of the time also we travel usually 3 months of the year.

If we felt we had to help we would have to take the child with us traveling.