Gransnet forums

Local

MEETING LOCAL PEOPLE

(32 Posts)
worlie Tue 26-Mar-13 12:55:07

CAME TO THIS PAGE BUT ITS EMPTY, SURELY THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE FROM SOMERSET OR AM I THE ONLY ONE? BE NICE TO GET AN HELLO FROM SOMEONE ELSE IN THE AREA

buffersmoll Thu 04-Apr-13 17:15:04

Well Hi. Page is a bit like the landscape just now - bleak!
However as from the frozen ground I'm sure our forum will blossom soon. Good luck to all who........

SueD Thu 04-Apr-13 22:29:49

It is good to have Gransnet Local. We have recently retired to Somerset (although my husband is Somerset born and bred) and now living in a village near Ilminster. It is lovely to be back and we had forgotten how friendly everyone is. Would welcome the chance to meet and make new friends - more difficult once the kids have grown up and fled the nest. How about it ladies?

worlie Mon 08-Apr-13 14:39:55

Doesnt seem to be much going on on this page does there but at least we know there are 3 of us WHOOPPEE maybe someone else might just pop in and surprise us, or is that just wishful thinking??

SueD Mon 08-Apr-13 14:58:36

I'm sure people will soon find this page and when you get back from Malta worlie there will be a whole host of ladies making coffee and lunch dates.

Valleyann Tue 09-Apr-13 11:47:40

Count me in for coffee as long as it's somewhere warm! And are you from Worle, worlie?

Rigmarole Tue 09-Apr-13 13:01:34

Hello! We don't yet have an editor for Somerset - which is why it's currently looking a little sparse. Feel free to add listings of your favourite haunts though - you don't need to be an editor to do so. But if anyone IS interested in becoming an editor, email us [email protected] and we can send you more info.

Battymum Tue 09-Apr-13 14:09:36

Hi. Hailing from Burnham on Sea. Is anybody out there? I'm up for tea and biccies and goss. Daughter recently fledged, at uni in London. Will be delighted to join the 'ladies'. TTFN

SueD Tue 09-Apr-13 22:10:43

Maybe we should find somewhere fairly central and easily accessible for a meet up. How far are people prepared to travel? Coffee or afternoon tea? Or maybe even lunch? Any suggestions ladies?

Maniac Wed 10-Apr-13 12:08:38

I'm in Backwell -very near to Nailsea & Backwell station- very convenient for public transport.I do still drive but not very far or at night.
Met 3 local GNs at Midlands meetup last Oct.would like to meet more of you .

Battymum Sat 13-Apr-13 15:36:14

There's always Weston s M? For train trekkies the Winter Gardens is central. It's also fairly accessible by car with parking at the Sovereign Centre in the centre of town/ beach. If this works do we all sport pink carnations, carrying The Times?

MaBar Tue 07-May-13 12:56:31

"maybe someone else might just pop in and surprise us, or is that just wishful thinking??"

well ...I've just popped in, so hoping its not too big a surprise smile

I live right on the Somerset border, close to Sherborne.... not too far from you, SueD. I have also relocated to the area, about a year ago, so would be delighted to get to know more people.

Are you still looking to meet up?

Battymum Wed 08-May-13 20:01:37

Seems like everybody's talking but not making a firm commitment to meet. I'm free Saturday afternoons, Sundays and Mondays. I can travel anywhere in the county (Somerset) and am prepared to meet up for coffee and cake. Some suggestions - Sanders garden centre off the M5 at Highbridge, Street Village discount shopping centre, County Stores in Taunton. Exeter any good?

Let's do this peeps!

MaBar Wed 08-May-13 20:44:44

Hi Battymum smile

would love to meet up, but have heard from another poster that they are away until end of May so perhaps we should hang fire until then?

I have been trying to look for the most central point in the county, as a meeting point? It looks like Street or Somerton? ....but I am a newcomer to the area, so happy to sit back and hear thoughts. Central Somerset may not be central point of the members locations .... if you see what I mean smile

Barbara

gimmer Sat 08-Jun-13 10:52:59

I live near Shepton Mallett. Street or Somerton sound good. Why not kick off with a place then it can be fine tuned when we know who is going to tiurn up.?

SueD Mon 17-Jun-13 15:34:48

Good afternoon Ladies

Are we still going ahead with the meet up on 25th June? I now have a date for catarct surgery - 4th July so may not be able to drive for a week 0r so after that, although I do have long distance in the other eye!

IF we are meeting up can we please firm up a time and venue and also postcode so that we can find each other.

Look forward to hearing from some of you.

BigG Sat 13-Jul-13 10:54:40

Very new to this technology I have only had an iPad since October . Enjoying the experience , thanks to my grandchildren giving me help . Would like to join in I'm in Backwell

Fuchsia007 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:33:31

Hi Everyone

I have just joined Gransnet having recently been told it exists! I have my first grandchild, a girl, who is nearly 10 months old, so everything is quite new to me still. Having had my own 2 boys, a girl in the family is very different (and lovely) so I may need loads of advice soon (grin).

My home is at Burnham on Sea, and looking at some of the other posts, there are a few of us nearby, so would be great to meet up with you all.
Have you all met each other yet, or are you still organising a date?

Let me know and I will try and fit in.

Bye for now ladies.

Sandy217 Sat 12-Oct-13 09:19:22

Hi ladies. Nice to "meet" you all. smile. I live in south Somerset, outside of Chard. I'm retired so can meet up almost any time for coffee and cake - doesn't take much to encourage me to have a nibble ;)! I wonder how far flung those of us who fancy a natter are? That might well determine the place. Would be quite nice to meet up, perhaps, before the nasty weather sets in?

SueD Sun 13-Oct-13 12:06:39

OK Ladies - I think we have to push on with this or it will never happen!

May I suggest some dates and then when we see who is available we can sort a venue.

My preferred dates are:

23rd, 24th, 25th,30th. 31st October, 6th, 7th,11th,12th,14th,18th,19th & 20th November.

I'm sure we can get several of us together on at least one of these date.

Look forward to hearing from you and meeting some of you. I am happy to give a lift to anyone from Chard. Ilminster or Taunton area.

Best wishes

Sue

Lilleth Sun 13-Oct-13 22:06:33

H everyone,

I work in Wadeford, Chard on Mondays and Fridays and often go to Ilminster. I live in North Curry just outside Taunton.

I can meet up any Thursdays apart from next Thursday the 17th October as my second Grandchild is due to come into the world that day!

If you are meeting on any of those dates on Thursdays, which are the 7th, 14th and 21st , I would love to meet up.

Only need a place and times to meet?

gimmer Tue 15-Oct-13 20:02:13

I can manage Sues days except 18 Nov. Prefer not to have a Wednesday.
Don't mind travelling.

SueD Tue 15-Oct-13 21:23:13

Hi Ladies - how about 31st October - seems to suit most of us. All we need now is a venue - thoughts please ladies.

If anyone can't make that date then we can always arrange a second meet up.

I'm off to London on Thursday (17th) but around most of the day tomorrow a-part from popping into Ilminster for some cash. If anyone wants to ring me I am on 01460 55439 (yes - we only have five digit numbers here in the sticks!).

Look forward to suggestions for venue and phone calls if you fancy a chat.

Best wishes Sue
cupcake - I got that right this time!

gimmer Wed 16-Oct-13 08:58:26

somewhere near you is central to most of us, SueD. Or someone suggested Clarks village but it is probably half term, so not a good idea. Tea/coffee and cake or a pub lunch.?

SueD Wed 16-Oct-13 11:17:13

Ok Ladies - I think we will stick with Thursday 31st October - please put this in your diaries now!

As to venue - depends if you just want coffee and a bun or lunch.

Coffee and a bun I suggest Monks Yard at Horton Cross or Number 7 in Crewkerne although parking easier at Monks Yard.

If it is lunch then the best I have been to that is reasonable is the Lord Nelson in Norton Sub Hamdon - two courses for £8 - not huge but very tasty.

Happy to consider other suggestions

Sue