Gransnet forums

Local

Coffee and cake meetup

(35 Posts)
NextStopWaverley Fri 05-Apr-13 11:00:15

Plans are afoot for coffee and cakes in Edinburgh for GN members and those thinking of joining - people from other parts of the country are included, of course. We are aiming for the end of April/beginning of May, and hoping the weather is spring-like by them.

If you are interested, please contact me (or Elegran - this post will be repeated on the main forum)

Marelli Fri 05-Apr-13 13:12:08

I'm up for that - depending on date decided. I'm away the last week in April. smile

Bags Fri 05-Apr-13 16:50:26

Add me to the hopefuls list, please! Is that lovely old church crypt cafe still open at the other end of Princes Street from Waverley Station? Wouldn't mind checking that out again.

Bags Fri 05-Apr-13 16:51:26

PS Haven't been there for... um... about twenty-six years!! They were very tolerant of pre-schoolers, so I guess they could cope with gransnetters wink

Grandmanorm Tue 09-Apr-13 09:45:27

I am happy to go wherever is chosen.

scotsgran Tue 09-Apr-13 16:31:58

depending on the date I would love that. I love edinburgh. think this local forum is a great idea

Waverley Wed 10-Apr-13 20:17:10

Date now fixed. Saturday 11th May at the cafe in the National Gallery of Scotland at the Mound, 3 pm. It would help if GN members confirmed online that they will be there so that tables can be booked.

If you are not a member, but would like to join us, email [email protected], If you can't email - turn up anyway and introduce yourself.

Newleaseoflife Wed 10-Apr-13 20:31:48

Bags- A dear friend of mine in the minister for St Cuthberts and a couple of years ago he gave us a tour of the church. Impressive I would say - part of its claim to fame is the chapel within the church which is said to have been the place where Agatha Christie was married. Hope I have got that right. I should love to see it again.

And yes please I am very interested in meeting up ( coffee and cake) grin brew

Bags Wed 10-Apr-13 21:23:49

Hello, newlease. I've never been in the actual church, only in the crypt cafe. There was a book shop there for a time too, I seem to recall.

It will be good to meet you in May at the Nat Gall gransnet cakefest smile

NextStopWaverley Wed 10-Apr-13 22:18:58

I don't think it is St Cuthbert's, Newleaseoflife The cafe is under St John's, right on the corner of Princes St.

My lasting impression of St Cuthberts came from the wooden pews - very straight and hard, despite the long cushions, which were about as thick as a table runner.

Newleaseoflife Thu 11-Apr-13 21:24:32

Sorry I seem to have got folks confused about the church I was speaking about.My friend is the minister of St Cuthberts and not the other one on the corner which has the coffee shop and crypt.

Those who know me recognise that I deviate from time to time away from the main theme etc. I must have the mind of a 2 year old who needs a change of play activity every few minutes. My family must have a terrible time trying to keep up with my train of thought.
I am so looking forward to meeting up again after the fabulous Burns lunch.smile

Waverley Thu 11-Apr-13 22:26:40

I've a friend who attends St Cuthbert's - the whole family does, in fact. I tried to recruit her for GN, but she says she has no time - husband with MS and she's busy with family things. Mind you, she can talk the hind leg off a donkey so she must be able to make time for that!

Newleaseoflife Fri 12-Apr-13 08:17:29

Waverley a bit like myself perhaps wink

Mitchsc19 Fri 12-Apr-13 18:11:57

Hi,i am new to this very interesting way of taking coffee and cake.Stirling is my home town,but my interest in history takes me all over Scotland.Just turned 50 so i am looking for a more paced style,hope to meet lots of friendly new people,... Mitch

Waverley Fri 12-Apr-13 18:40:27

Welcome to Gransnet, Mitchsc19 I think you will enjoy it. Will you be joining us on May 11th?

Newleaseoflife Tue 16-Apr-13 11:46:45

A very warm welcome to Gransnet Mitch19. smile

baubles Sun 21-Apr-13 08:06:40

Looking forward to coffee, cakes and possibly meeting new people on the 11th smile

NextStopWaverley Mon 29-Apr-13 10:02:57

Current numbers with less than a fortnight to go -

Me
Marelli
Baubles
Bags
Newleaseoflife
Grannygreyhips
Scotsgran
Grandmanorm
GrannyE
Mistchsc19

Total 10 - plus one possible non-member.

If you are on this list and can't make it, or not on the list but would like to come, try to let me know so that I can tell them to set more/fewer places. If you will be in Princes St that day but are not joining us, we would still love it if you dropped by and said hello.

Granny23 Mon 29-Apr-13 11:12:48

Oh No! Came on to add my name to the list and just realised that it is same day as our fundraising plant sale sad. Guess I'll be having my coffee and cake in Alva.

Bags Mon 29-Apr-13 11:39:27

That's a shame, 23, but never mind, there will be others. Lovely to anticipate meeting new people smile

Waverley, not sure what DD2 is doing that day, but is it allright if I tell her she can drop in on us?

NextStopWaverley Mon 29-Apr-13 11:47:25

Absolutely OK Bags That will show her what kind of people her mother has been associating with!

NextStopWaverley Mon 29-Apr-13 11:50:27

Oh! so sorry you won't be there, G23 We will raise a cup to you (they do have stronger drink, BTW, I am sure some people will raise a glass)

Marelli Wed 01-May-13 19:02:09

I think Anne09 will be coming with Newleaseoflife and me, Waverley. I'll check with her and ask her to let you know. She might not have looked at this site as yet.

Elegran Wed 01-May-13 20:32:25

That makes 11 then, Marelli. (Yes, my split personaity has been re-united)

em Fri 10-May-13 10:01:23

I thought I might manage to make it to Edinburgh but unfortunately it's one more event I have to miss. I hope you have a lovely afternoon and I look forward to hearing the gossip later.