Gransnet forums

Local

Why does the media only show stereotype pictures of older women?

(3 Posts)
scotsgran Tue 09-Apr-13 16:39:40

really makes me want to scream. this image of the wee old lady knitting scones and baking scarves in a grey cardigan while listening to the alexander brothers on her old radiogram. Sorry that ship sailed a long time ago.

Wayfinder Sun 07-Apr-13 23:02:19

Our role models are women like Lulu, Joanna Lumley, Helen Mirren, Joan Bakewell et al.
Hopefully NextStopWaverley when anyone interested in joining Gransnet takes a peek at the forums, they will soon learn we are a diverse, lively and totally un-stereotype-able bunch grin

NextStopWaverley Sun 07-Apr-13 13:04:45

There must be more attractive pictures of older women in the stock photo archives than this one. I feel like sending this message to the Daily Telegraph after seeing the photo they used to head up Geraldine's article:-

" Dear sir, I object strongly to being categorised in your paper as a wrinkled boring old fart. I am still living it up and enjoying life to the full at 99.

I shall ram my Ferrari into your Bentley the next time I am in the vicinity of your car park. Then I shall send my toy boy (23) to duff you up. I shall assist him by belabouring you with my zimmer (if I can get out of this b****y car)

yours,
Outraged and disgusted of Bournmouth!"