Gransnet forums

Local

Have you retired ............really

(5 Posts)
janieZ30 Mon 26-Jun-17 00:50:08

I retired about 8 months ago and I hate it feel like redesigning to get out of bed for wonderful husband grandchildren live long way omg any suggestions and also benefiting in a house refurbishment for 12 YEARS?

JanKernow Sun 14-Apr-13 00:07:17

We had a lovely time in Aus and came away with happy memories but leaving them all behind was painful..I have mixed feelings about seeing them all on skype, all I want to do is to reach out and pick my grandson up..I guess I never envisiged being a long distance grandma..I wouldn't recommend it, I have found it heart wrenching..On a positive note I am looking forward to going back again next year...Mind you they would be closer if they lived on the moon instead of the other side of the world.

scottydownsouth Sat 13-Apr-13 11:27:12

How sad that your grandson lives so far away. You must have had a great time when you were there. I suppose it would be an awful lot worse if we didn't have the technology to be able to keep in touch.

JanKernow Fri 12-Apr-13 07:54:23

I retired early three years ago..Love being home and doing what I want to do..to be honest I don't know how I managed to fit work in.. I also take my dog out for walks..My one year old grandson lives in Australia. This time last year I was over there for the birth. I have found it really hard not being able to see him and give him cuddles..I think my grandson will think his grandma and grandpa are on the tv because the only time he sees us is on skype..Having said that we are looking forward to going over there next year...It is not ideal but you make the best of what you have.

Apart from the ache in my heart life is good for me too.

scottydownsouth Tue 09-Apr-13 19:55:33

I have from a 9-5 job but am now self employed doing work I enjoy and am more involved in local events than I have ever been. But the great thing is ....... it is my choice. I very rarely get bored and have not found the need to 'fill my day', it just seems to happen.

I love being able to get out early for a walk with the dog and plan my day which is usually full and strangely enough not with housework or other mundane chores, those get slotted in between the 'stuff' that I want to do.

Life is good.