Gransnet forums

Local

Gardening tips and swop ideas

(13 Posts)
juneh Mon 29-Jul-13 13:43:00

Hi Steffers have found a website where they are discussing getting rid of Eldflower trees
mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/p/22639/39845.aspx Its a gardening website see what you think

juneh Mon 29-Jul-13 08:41:41

Hi Staffers I don't know much but I will try to find out. Why do you have to cut Dow why not just cut right back. I remember my mum used to make elderberry wine. smile

Steffers Sun 28-Jul-13 19:20:21

Could someone please give me some advice re and Elderflower tree.......have been told that it is bad luck to cut one down sad( there is one in the garden of where I am hopefully moving....... many thanks to anyone who can help

juneh Tue 28-May-13 09:45:00

Morning JessM
It is great that you know some about gardening as I do not know anything other than to mow the lawn and keep it weeded. It would be great if I can encourage others to come along for you to compare notes with.
Next time you are here how about you and I meet up for coffee somewhere, do you know the new Welsh food centre at Bodnant gardens?

JessM Mon 27-May-13 18:05:41

HI juneh and good luck with the Conwy area. Looking forward to being close to Bodnant when I move!
I tried something called The Chelsea Chop or Crop of something last year on my sedums. Alan Titch I think said this is something you can do to herbaceous perennials this week - after Chelsea.Cut them back by.. I think it was a third. Meant I had fewer, smaller flower heads. I am not bothering this year - but maybe it works better with other plants.

juneh Mon 27-May-13 14:59:16

Hi JessM
do you know much about gardening if so you are better placed than me. Remember you can be on this forum even if you live outside the area.
If you know stuff about gardening that would be invaluable to the site?
sunshine flowers

JessM Mon 27-May-13 11:37:14

I lived in Saddleworth for a while. DS2 was born there in 1978.

juneh Thu 18-Apr-13 16:44:17

Strangly we were there in Delph a couple of weeks ago renting a cottage for my husband's 70th birthday do for his family. We had a lovely time quite nostalgic being back as we used to live in Grotten for a while before we came here.
I now need to attract more visitors maybe a glass of wine on offer would do it . wine

whenim64 Thu 18-Apr-13 13:57:25

Hi June. Thanks for the cake [cake].

Yes, I know Saddleworth, and have visited Dobcross, Diggle and other villages several times. Lovely stone cottages that look fabulous in summer with all their hanging flower baskets and window boxes.

I also know Conwy, where I've stayed since being a child. Such lovely places you've chosen to live. smile

juneh Wed 17-Apr-13 16:56:25

Re gardening the most I have done this week is sweep up a lot of leaves and shift old bits about and hurt my arm in the process. My excuse for leaving it a bit longer. Husband does he lawns and i plant bedding plants at the end of April a gardner told me not to plant out until the end of April because of the frosts.
Don't remove a clout till May is out they say. flowers

juneh Wed 17-Apr-13 16:52:55

How lovely you are my first customer, here is a cake cupcake
I don't anything about gardening but thought someone would. You and I could exchange questions we cannot answer. I am originally from Lancashire Saddleworth if you know it. Moved here 5 years ago to retire with my best beloved new husband.
It is a wonderful place to retire to.

whenim64 Wed 17-Apr-13 16:36:38

Hi june. I am in Manchester, but couldn't ignore your post! smile

This week, I've been planting a few rose bushes (2 for £3 from Tesco!) and making sure the tulips and daffodils in pots have enough water. I've also pruned my out of control young Victoria plum tree so I can reach the top when it has fruit.

Hope you get lots more posts!

juneh Thu 11-Apr-13 09:21:42

I know nothing about gardening but so many out there do. Wouldn't it be good to swop ideas for each season. Like now I don't know whether to cut back or leave alone.
How about growing your own veg for a new gardening year.