Gransnet forums

Local

Family! Are friends the new family?

(3 Posts)
juneh Fri 26-Apr-13 13:40:59

Moving to Wales has been difficult because of making new friends. I have found the best way was to become a volunteer after working all my life. It's the best way to meet new people, but it is harder to form strong friendships because sometimes older generation are a bit more reserved.
I have done alsorts but find only now after 5 years in Llandudno am I finding friends that might last.
I have friends from when I lived in Manchester but distance takes it's toll but some are still there with a 20 year safety belt attached to them.

GinnyTonic Fri 26-Apr-13 13:17:41

I know my parent's siblings lived very near to their birthplace, as most people did. These days everyone is more well travelled and some of our family live considerable distances from us. They are very important, but technology ( Skpe/Facetime /email.Facebook) is fantastic at keeping us in touch - perhaps even more than some of my acquaintances with family living much closer.
I find I value friendships more each day - they are a fantastic support in so many ways & face-to-face contact is essential

juneh Thu 18-Apr-13 07:04:34

It seems that as I age family mean more to me. Being attached is very important and perhaps the members I found difficult I am now more forgiving of.
How do you feel about family, do they matter or are you cut off from them?
There are many in my family I have left behind, mainly from my first marriage but making new friends is very important to.
Do we make close friends are family?