Gransnet forums

Local

Do you believe in smacking children?

(5 Posts)
juneh Sun 12-May-13 16:10:40

I think the statement from the newspaper was just to start a debate on the subject. Thankfully I don't think we see much smacking these days.

Wayfinder Sun 12-May-13 00:47:55

No.
What a ridiculous statement.
How is it possible for a child who is hit to feel loved??

juneh Sat 11-May-13 20:58:38

Yes it's true they are more patient. I think I make a much better gran than I did a mum but I was very young. Although I didn't smack did maybe shout a lot.
It's good to hear from you, my voice has been echoing across the airwaves to all the gransnet locals, youare the first to turn up. Thanks again.

whenim64 Sat 11-May-13 19:45:33

No, I think it's hypocritical to smack children, especially if they have been doing something aggressive. I wasn't as effective as my children are with their youngsters, but they seem to have learned to be patient and consistent, and their children to take notice of disciplinary methods like time out, withdrawal of treats and confiscation of certain toys and games.

juneh Sun 21-Apr-13 07:00:50

“Smacking does children no harm if they feel loved, study claims,” reports The Daily Telegraph.

The Telegraph looks at a US study examining whether there was a relationship between harsh parental discipline practices (such as smacking) and subsequent adolescent behavioural problems, including aggression and antisocial behaviour.