Gransnet forums

Local

Stereotypes

(7 Posts)
GinnyTonic Fri 26-Apr-13 07:55:50

A survey in the Daily Mail says men are tidier than women and spend more time on housework. tinyurl.com/ccocg8r. Do you agree?

GreatNana Fri 26-Apr-13 08:00:22

Things must have changed! My husband did appreciate all the work that was done " behind the scenes" but it would never have occurred to him to do any housework.

Beancounter Fri 26-Apr-13 08:04:10

Well, I know I am very blessed in having a husband who loves to cook, as I love to eat! I am more than happy to also allow him to do all the tasks he considers " manly" such as anything heavy ( which sometimes involves moving the vacuum) , mowing the lawn, gardening , washing car etc.
In return, I shop, wash, iron, clean and help him with all his computer problems. It works well.

Par4TheCourse Fri 26-Apr-13 09:10:34

My OH has been known to run the hoover round while I am out playing golf. I am the only woman in the Golf Club whose husband always packs and unpacks the car with my golf gear! Must dash off & do a bit of ironing!

juneh Fri 26-Apr-13 13:26:26

Gradually we have come to the state of blue jobs and pink jobs. I still think I have more pink jobs than his blue but we both do the housework together but it's generally when we are having visitors at the weekend. Our dog gets excited when we take out the hoover because she knows we have someone coming to stay or visit.
Rest of the time it's just a tickle.
Being older and retired has it's advantages
Must say he is no good at cooking but good at cleaning up after so there's the team work.

GransMT Fri 26-Apr-13 21:39:33

It's definitely not the case in our house - he does occasionally like to tackle something like the cooker and he does pick up groceries but that's about it!

Iam64 Mon 06-May-13 08:00:03

I don't believe much that the Daily Wail prints - and I sure don't believe men do more domestic stuff than women. We've shared pretty much everything as we both worked full time whilst bringing up our daughters, so it was essential we didn't have major disputes about who did what. This seems to have been the case with most of our friends as well. We'd cook alternate evenings, and the girls still ask for a "dad's can't be bothered" if they call in unexpectedly and want feedings. Dad can't be bothered, was Tuesday evenings meal, and usually would include a baked potato, salad/coleslaw, tinned tuna fish, cheese and any bits and pieces left in the fridge from the weekend. The girls named this the Dad can't be Bothered meal. We do have the usual male/female divides, he takes out the bins, mows the lawns and does the main shopping, I do the daily pop in for bread/meat/milk etc, I do the borders in the garden, all pruning, and though I say I do more general household cleaning/tidying etc, he wouldn't agree. He always does the bathroom, and I rarely iron anything of his. We share the cooking.