Gransnet forums

Local

Is the World becoming a sadder, scarier place, or have the elderly always been taken advantage of?

(6 Posts)
Wayfinder Fri 26-Apr-13 22:49:02

I double-checked with her GransMT and she was quite sure about the fare. What confused her was his assertion about "keeping something ... "
This was a lady of 89. That's what disgusts me: the taking advantage of someone who is seen as an 'easy touch'.
I believe in the essential goodness of humankind too and I'm inclined to find justifications for less than honourable behaviour in others, but having this very vulnerable elderly lady who is partially-blind and not very mobile standing in front of me telling me about this just made me mad! It was plain nasty behaviour!

GransMT Fri 26-Apr-13 21:26:14

That's unbelievable! I can imagine some people deliberately giving the wrong change - but to say I'm keeping something...

Was she sure that's what he said? Could it be that the taxi fare was £3.80 and she'd misheard what he'd said? Sorry - I always questions things I find hard to believe!

Noora Fri 26-Apr-13 20:51:25

It's so sad that vunerable people are often taken advantage of. It's not new, maybe we hear more about things happening than before. It's probable that he often does it so it's only a matter of time before he gets his just desserts.

juneh Fri 26-Apr-13 20:27:47

The worst part of that story is the way she was afraid of retaliation. I think that is a common feeling today, especially for those who are vulnerable and this type only take from the vulnerable.
I don't think the world has become a sadder place or scarier it's just human nature and it goes on all around us we just have to protect the vulnerable in our society but of late it just doesn't seem to be happening.
Maybe we as a community of editors could work out how we could send out a message of community to those grans who join our forums.

Angie44 Fri 26-Apr-13 20:18:03

This is outrageous and unforgiveable but I like to think/hope from the bottom of my heart, that this is a one-off and not typical. Twice in the last few months, I've been stuck in a car park without the correct change, and twice some lovely, kind stranger has given me a pound coin wanting nothing in return.

Wayfinder Fri 26-Apr-13 19:47:58

A very elderly lady came into the surgery where I work today. She asked me how much change the taxi driver should have given her from £5 for a £3.20 fare. He'd given her £1.20 in change. Apparently he'd said: "I'm keeping something towards my next cuppa"
I was all set to phone the taxi company and make an outraged complaint, but she was scared that the driver would harm her in retaliation.
Is the World becoming a sadder, scarier place, or have the elderly always been taken advantage of?