Gransnet forums

Local

Fashion for us

(31 Posts)
AnnB Wed 01-May-13 18:08:17

We don't always have time to read all we want, so maybe we could share interesting discoveries. Summer trends in Vogue include an 'old classics' section which could well be lying around in the wardrobe. Apparently wicker and basket bags are really in vogue (I think I took a lovely colourful one to a Charity shop last week ...hmmmm wonder if it is still there?) , shooting jackets (pictures from 1965) relabelled as 'utility jackets'. Other trends briefly are leather biker jackets, gypsy blouses (smartened up a bit it seems) breton stripes and brightly coloured mocassins. We won't necessarily adopt the trends (although if it is in the cupboard 'why not') but it makes for interesting conversations with our daughters! Geometrics on bags shoes and dresses are also 'la mode'.

AnnB Mon 04-Jul-16 15:01:27

Some new hints for Autumn have emerged with ideas of what to expect( from Vogue writers). To be honest we couldn't find a heck of a lot for our generations, but here's a summary out of interest. Shoes as jewellery is one idea, glisten and sparkle from toe to top! Bare legs in Autumn will be a new trend under sharp suits, provided those legs are tanned (not one we can see ourselves slipping into comfortably!) People might wear cashmere polo necks under Summer dresses to prolong their use, and eighties ski trousers see a re-emergence! You can attach a scarf to a bag and use it as a handle, and glittery hair clips will be very on trend. Shoulder bags will be worn across the chest, and wedged tightly under the arm (Stylish and safe) Eighties gold and chandelier ear-rings are making a come back and so are 'chinos' (did they ever go away?). Finally cinchy belts on dresses and coats reminds me to find my 'waspy' belt.. does anyone else remember them? Embroidered cotton or silk jackets will be stylish..now what did I do with embroidery needle? If there's nothing to please here remember the forecast may change by the time we get there, we'll enjoy the Summer first !!!

AnnB Mon 08-Aug-16 15:16:23

Here is a report from the magazines in August, giving fashion tips for the Autumn! Heritage fabrics will be popular (by which they men tartans and tweeds!) (Are we going to go for that Ralph Lauren Fair Isle Tank Top at £1045 ...not too sure of that one...) Dazzling colours will be on display but without accessories , there is lots of bright red in the fashion photos. Mood indigo will be a winner (shake out that denim!). Wide leg trousers are still a fashion item and capes. Then the military look marches in again, and lots of shearling and sheepskin. Take your pick and mix with your own inimitable style for autumn chic!

AnnB Mon 08-Aug-16 15:17:58

Spot the deliberate (I don't think) mistake..not men in tartan and tweeds although it's a great thought, we 'mean' tartan and tweeds, probably too much information!!

AnnB Wed 26-Oct-16 18:50:41

Did you hear the editor of Vogue on Radio Four this morning saying if you only buy one thing this winter buy a velvet jacket!!? I've got one but lost the buttons, can anyone tell me where I might find black and gold buttons?

AnnB Thu 20-Jul-17 09:03:47

Let's go with the fashion tips again! Vogue magazine is so beautiful it's almost an art gallery in itself and for us, it's just the best way of keeping up to date (or making a gesture at least!!)
For August this year they are speculating about Autumn and Winter, and a lovely idea is the red coat, warming and stunning at the same time! Polka dots are back, and there's a lovely picture in the magazine of Jean Shrimpton in the Sixties wearing a polka dot dress (although I don't think any of us have kept clothes quite that length of time!!).
Flowers are still fashionable on anything coats, dresses, trousers and tops, the flower design isn't going away yet and runs in to the Autumn and Winter. Hopefully for most of us it is just emphasising those tings in the wardrobe we already have, but if we want something new then the flowery fabrics, the red coats and the polka dots may just be something to bear in mind!