Gransnet forums

Local

June coffee and cake

(61 Posts)
Elegran Tue 21-May-13 09:06:12

Now that we have had ten days to digest the afternoon tea in the Nat Gall cafe, it is time to plan the next.

What do you say to Saturday 9th June? Do we want the same venue or a change of scenery? The free wi-fi got no use at all at the Gallery, so we don't need to consider that. How about the Royal Overseas League? It is on Princes St and has windows looking over the gardens to the castle.

Spex Thu 19-May-16 15:48:18

Sadly those posts were dated 2013! Sorry Granny2annie but you've missed it. I bet Elegran will have a cunning new plan though...

Granny2annie Thu 19-May-16 10:23:56

Would like to join you ladies at some point, although on holiday on 15th. Perhaps next time?

GeminiJen Fri 22-Nov-13 14:30:27

Dear Elegran
I'm a newbie to this site so still fumbling my way around.
I responded to your suggestion for a meetup on Sat Nov 30...but can't find the thread again. Is this still going ahead?
All the best
Jennifer.

Elegran Mon 17-Jun-13 12:24:30

Thank you all for turning up. It is always a worry when you start to arrange something that no-one will come. however I think we have proved that the Scottish grans ara usually up for some good food and a blether.

Gally Mon 17-Jun-13 11:36:35

Thanks Elegran for arranging the day. It was good to see everyone again and hopefully next time there will be more of us.

Elegran Mon 17-Jun-13 09:01:47

We missed you too, Newlease but we thought of you. He is in a better place now, and you can stop worrying about him.

Newleaseoflife Mon 17-Jun-13 08:52:47

To all you lovely ladies. Missed you on Saturday -brother in law passed away this morning at4.30am. A real blessing.

Elegran Sat 15-Jun-13 22:18:31

Should have typed where we sat.

Elegran Sat 15-Jun-13 22:17:34

what a relief that the scaffolding was outside the Edinburgh Room, not the restaurant where was sat. Our view of the castle was unhindered (and we could hear the loudspeaker down at the Ross Bandstand. No idea what was going on, though.)

Granny23 Sat 15-Jun-13 20:34:44

Many thanks to Elegranfor all the trouble she took to organise another successful get together for us. Good job we did not opt for 'picnic in the gardens', as Edinburgh was rather wet and windy today. We were nice and cosy in ROL.

Elegran Sat 15-Jun-13 18:38:11

Enjoyed afternoon tea this afternoon with Marelli, Gally, Granny23 and Anne09. We did miss Baubles and NewleaseofLife and the others who could not be there, but they were not forgotten. We drank to absent friends in Prosecco and tea. As predicted, there was too much food to finish, but the waiter kindly took away the extra and put it into a nice little box which Someone (no names no packdrill) took for home consumption.

The only fly in the ointment was that we had not warned them in advance of Anne09's gluten allergy, so she had a rather limited selection of goodies.

No-one remembered to take photos. Sorry!

Gally Thu 13-Jun-13 16:49:19

I'm going to bring a doggy-bag in case I can't manage everything...... grin
Sorry you can't make it Baubles and the others too - would have been good to meet you all but next time..........wine

baubles Wed 12-Jun-13 16:14:03

Huge apologies to you *Elegran (I've sent you a pm), I won't make it on Saturday after all.

I'm so sorry not to be seeing all you lovely people, perhaps next time.

Enjoy the brew and the cupcake and of course the chat. smile

Elegran Wed 12-Jun-13 09:16:50

See you Saturday, Gally We'll ask them to puree the cakes.
Henrietta - next time!

Gally Tue 11-Jun-13 18:56:24

I'll be there! cupcake

Henrietta Tue 11-Jun-13 18:53:58

Sorry I will not be able to come although I would love to. This has been a very expensive month for me and I am lying low for a while before the Festival starts. Hope you all have a lovely afternoon and maybe see you all next time. xx

Newleaseoflife Sun 09-Jun-13 06:27:10

Okay - No bargain lunch deals - leaving loads of room to enjoy full afternoon tea wink

Marelli Sat 08-Jun-13 20:35:36

Ok, Elegran - easy to remember - 100. smile

Elegran Sat 08-Jun-13 15:16:12

Right, that is a table booked at the Royal Overseas League for 3.00 pm on 15th June for afternoon tea for 8. Only 7 of us will definitely be there, but that leaves a little lee-way in case anyone else can join us. Will copy this to the main GN site so that it will be seen by everyone.

Look forward to seeing everyone there. This time DO NOT fill up with bargain lunch deals.

Elegran Fri 07-Jun-13 21:47:04

It is number 100. If you put 100 Princes St into Google Maps it shows it (or ROSL Edinburgh) a bit west of Frederick St, near Boots. At the moment there is some kind of building work going on next door so there is boarding up. The ROSL has only a narrow entrance and hallway at ground level, but bay windows on either side above that, from which you get a superb view of the castle.

Will book a table tomorrow morning for 3 o'clock on 15th.

Marelli Fri 07-Jun-13 21:17:57

Whereabouts is it on Princes St, Elegran?

Newleaseoflife Fri 07-Jun-13 19:33:05

Yes please smile

Elegran Thu 06-Jun-13 09:54:13

So at the moment it sounds like a general vote for ROSL this time? At 3 pm I assume?

Speak now or forever hold your (jeely) piece.

Newleaseoflife Wed 05-Jun-13 08:46:59

The Royal overseas club sound just fine. HN's will be in reserve for me for another time. I look forward to seeing everyone on the 15th. (Thinking of these cakes) brew yum yum

Marelli Sun 02-Jun-13 18:17:25

grin!!