Gransnet forums

Local

anyone in wiltshire?

(18 Posts)
penuccia Wed 25-Sep-13 20:39:56

I have just joined gransnet and am a bit disappointed that there seems to be nothing going on in Wiltshire! is there anyone there? wiltshire is a big county but it would be nice to make contact with people nearby. I am near to the Somerset border but I am not sure if there is much more in that area. hello!

Icyalittlebit Sat 23-Nov-13 16:08:23

Hello penuccia I am afraid I am on the Gloucestershire border so miles away, but equally disappointed that there is so little here. I thought there would be plenty of people. Shame.

penuccia Sun 24-Nov-13 21:15:41

hi icyalittlebit. I am still hoping that more people will join. none of the surrounding areas have anything happening! I suppose we are all far too busy?

Icyalittlebit Sat 30-Nov-13 09:35:12

A Cotswold Local has just started up - thought I would see if there is anyone there. A bit too far for you perhaps?

Hildagard Sun 01-Dec-13 19:36:14

Hi I am in the middle of Wiltshire and to am disappointed that there is not much going on. We moved to a village not far from Devizes two years ago and now having finished renovating and feel its time to get to know locals etc but it is very difficult. Any tips? I have a dog and when we lived in Devizes I met people walking and chatted but here so many walks, very few people !!!

penuccia Thu 19-Dec-13 12:01:08

I still keep looking to see if there are any new people but it is rare! I may not be all that far from you as I am near Westbury. I am playing in a concert in Market Lavington on Saturday so if you are near to there it would be nice to meet you!

Hammycmt Mon 07-Apr-14 13:45:11

Just joined and wonder where everyone is..I am in Wootton Basseett not far from Devizes, Hildegarde.
Would like to meet up if you interested.

Wallygrom Fri 11-Apr-14 08:26:56

hi all - I am the local editor for both Bath and Cheltenham & Gloucester sites so not a million miles away. The Somerset site is also now up and running and being populated as is the Cotswolds site.

Did you know that if you are aware of events happening near you, you can list them yourself easily? Its totally free and will just let other people in the area know whats going on. Its a big job for one person to populate a site with information but if we all add to it, it makes it better for everyone smile

There are also Facebook pages which you may find a bit livelier with more interaction - here is the Bath one: on.fb.me/1aaF91N and the Cheltenham & Gloucester one: on.fb.me/1bfBsot - please feel free to like and join us - we have members from 'out of area' who may be close by to you.

Have you signed up for the monthly newsletter? That's another worthwhile thing to find out whats happening especially in regard to meet ups.

Icyalittlebit Fri 11-Apr-14 09:06:10

Hi Hammycmt I am only 7 miles from RWB, and Devizes is not far too. We must be able to sort something out!

Icyalittlebit Fri 11-Apr-14 09:07:47

Thanks for the reminder Wallygrom. All the contact info is really useful.

Wallygrom Mon 28-Apr-14 17:17:58

hi all again
I have just taken over as editor for Wiltshire now as well as Bath - both closer to home for me than Cheltenham & Gloucester so hopefully give me a little time and we can get some things up and running in the Wiltshire area.

We do now also have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/gransnetwiltshire) if you would like to join us there too I would be happy to see you all, and I am just waiting for a Twitter account to be set up too to start promoting Wiltshire to the world!

If you have any questions or ideas please add them to the FB page or you can email me at [email protected] - once I have my Wiltshire email address I will of course let you all know it

Thanks - Dee

Icyalittlebit Mon 28-Apr-14 17:37:16

That sounds like quite an area for you to cover, Wallygrom. Looking forward to meeting up occasionally.

Hammycmt Thu 01-May-14 15:56:47

Be happy to meet up and will visit fb page.
Icyalittlebit,sorry not to have replied earlier ;yes we must be able to arrange something.

Wallygrom Sun 04-May-14 19:34:34

I think we as Gransnetters need to start promoting Gransnet to people in our local areas....I will of course be working on this but as its a large area I can only do so much. It would be really useful if any of you who are interested could PM me with your address and I would be more than happy to pop some posters in the post for you to perhaps drop into your local libraries, corner shop, GP surgeries etc. - that way you may also get other more 'local to you' people joining up.

You may have noticed in the latest Gransnet Newsletter that Gransnetters have been asked to take part in a survey to find out what you would like to see in YOUR local Gransnet. Please take part if you haven't already. The success of our local site, Gransnet Wiltshire, depends on how useful and interesting you find it, and that depends on input. If you have an upcoming event in your village or town, please add it to our listings. Maybe there is a regular club you could add. Is there a local trader you think it would benefit others to know about? Someone whose services goes that extra mile? Does your local have regular "specials" nights or senior citizen special lunches etc? It's quite straightforward to add a listing. There's a blue box "Add a Listing" - publicise your local event or give your favourite shop a boost!

Wiltshire is a big area to cover but between us all we could make it a really useful resource. The same goes for the Forum. It's our space to chat about anything that interests or concerns us. We have a few links going at the moment but add your own if you have something to share. Just dive in. Let's make our Gransnet Wiltshire a place you want to keep your eye on! smile

penuccia Fri 12-Sep-14 11:12:58

I have looked at all the local things on this site….'I'm on' etc. there is NOTHING from anyone!!! wE are all too busy? anyhow, I am playing in Parade Gardens in Bath tomorrow afternoon in my folk band. we start at 3pm. come along anyone who is in the area. the band is called Dance Bazaar and we play dance music (mostly) from different countries.

Icyalittlebit Fri 12-Sep-14 11:55:46

Sounds fun penuccia Will come if poss.

Wallygrom Sat 13-Sep-14 15:44:42

Penuccia - when you doing this sort of event again, please do feel fere to list it - not just in the forum but as a proper listing - it seriously takes only 5 minutes and then I can promote it further for you across the area by way of FB and Twitter x

Icyalittlebit Sun 14-Sep-14 00:15:04

penuccia that was really fun! Not something I would have thought of going to if you hadn't posted. Please do list again as Wallygrom says.