Gransnet forums

Local

Where are you N Yorks, N East, Dales

(10 Posts)
YaYaJen Fri 25-Oct-13 18:11:22

Hi All,

October coffee has been moved to early November, maily because of half term, details here local.gransnet.com/forums/local_north_yorkshire_meet_ups/1201745-October-meet-up?msgid=25141029#25141029

audrey Wed 16-Oct-13 19:27:28

sorry missed your message

YaYaJen Tue 15-Oct-13 10:21:55

Morning all late notice, I will be in Nero's Northallerton approx 12.30 today after a little talk at the library. Would be great if you came along, I am wearing purple! I will be arranging another meet with more notice very soon.

audrey Sat 12-Oct-13 00:11:52

Hi there,
no have lived here since 1992 ,recently retired I was working in the kiosk at northallerton .Now have the pleasure of collecting grandson three days a week .wonder if there are any similar grans

YaYaJen Thu 10-Oct-13 20:43:33

Hi Audrey, welcome hope a few us will meet up towards the end of the month for coffee and a chat. Have a recently moved here?

audrey Thu 10-Oct-13 19:25:16

I live in northallerton have grandson max who is five he goes to applegarth school I collect him wed/thurs/fri. don't know too many grans or mums yet in area

juneh Sun 06-Oct-13 15:41:24

My first husbands family came from North Yorkshire and I have memories of visiting his granddad and my first big encounter with all of them.
They were a very strict family and had strong views of things although many had moved to Lancashire.
My first ever memory was my husband to be, although we were only courting phoned me and asked would I like to go across to meet up with his family that afternoon.
Phew! it was a scary thought and I completely forgot whilst we were talking that I had turned on the gas oven which didn't automatically light I am looking back to 1964. We chatted for a while and then I went into the kitchen and struck a match to light it and there was a massive explosion which threw me across the kitchen. I instantly stuck my face into a bowl of cold water and held it there for ages hoping that there would be no damage done.
When I eventually did look in the mirror my face, of course was pretty red and I had no eyebrows and very frizzed up hair. I couldn't tell him that I couldn't go and when he came for me later that day, needless to say he was a bit shocked as I had cut off my hair and tried to cover this overly red face with pan stick makeup.
Happy days.
We did eventually get married but his family continued to think of me as a tad eccentric. shock

YaYaJen Thu 03-Oct-13 09:41:51

Hi Tiggypiro,

I know South Otterington, have been to the church for funerals and also use the garage for my Fiat 500 but have never been to the pub despite living in/near Northallerton for about 17 years!

Cars & school run situation doesn't seem too bad here in Brompton for some reason. I agree that not walking such a short distance is ridiculous - as a former sociologist maybe it is a status thing?

tiggypiro Wed 02-Oct-13 22:40:38

Hello YaYaJen
I am just down the road from you in South Otterington. It has a pub, church, village hall and school. The school is very popular but I am at a loss to know why some children who only live 200yds away have to be taken in a car !

YaYaJen Tue 01-Oct-13 10:17:54

And with so many other area names within the county (like Hambleton, Craven etc) it can get confusing - so Yorkshire & N East Gransnetters where are you all?

Just put your area or town & a little bit about it and lets get Local rocking!

I am in Northallerton (North Yorkshire - Hambleton) a nice enough town but no outstanding attributes wink