Gransnet forums

Local

Introduction and Welcome

(22 Posts)
Sandy217 Thu 31-Oct-13 11:17:26

Hello to you Somerset Grandparents. My name's Sandy, I'm the editor for Gransnet in Somerset and want you to help me make this site warm, welcoming and relevant to our needs. A little about me - I'm a grandparent, relatively new to the game. I have two lovely daughters who don't live too far away and a gorgeous young grandson. I retired three years ago and often wonder now how I ever found time to go to work! I have plenty of hobbies and interests - anything arty/crafty (I try most things) and enjoy knitting and patchwork/quilting. I hasten to add that I think I am Jack of all trades and master of none, but I enjoy "playing" so that is all that matters.

Let's hear what is important to you. What interests you, annoys you or makes you happy. Just one request ... don't start a new thread each time you reply to someone, otherwise it is difficult to follow. Tell us about that shop/cafe/restaurant/electrician etc that gives excellent service and you think is worth sharing - anyone can add a listing! What's on too - keep everyone up to date with interesting things in your area! If you don't want to add these yourself just pop me an email at [email protected] and I'll see what I can do.

It would be great to make this site a resource for us all as well as somewhere to come to have a chat, cyber coffee and virtual meet up now and then! I look forward to hearing from you!!

grannysally Thu 31-Oct-13 21:24:29

Hello to the other Somerset Grannies!

I am not yet a Granny - I will be next January and I am so excited. We know that the new arrival is to be a boy. I have two grown-up sons, so I am well used to boys and their ways!

I really just wanted to say hi - not sure really what this site is about yet, but I shall have a look around, and will probably make a more worthwhile contribution soon.

Best wishes.

Sandy217 Fri 01-Nov-13 10:26:15

Oh how exciting. Someone once told me that you think you know what love is - then you have a grandchild, and that is so true smile. Our Somerset site is just getting going really so feel free to add any what's ons or useful bits and bobs. Welcome! smile

grannysally Fri 01-Nov-13 10:54:00

Thanks Sandy. I live in Frome, so almost Wiltshire and/or Banes! I was brought up in Westfield, Radstock though, so I am Somerset down to my socks! I work as an LSA in Bath, also like knitting and have fond memories of learning to knit aged 5 at Westfield Infants School. My expectant son lives in London, so we aren't on the doorstep. I foresee quite a few trips up the M3 though! I am slightly concerned at being seen as an interfering Granny - a very fine line, I think. I can remember when I came out of hospital with my new son, my mum being adamant that he wanted a drink of water and I was really upset!! Hormones, I guess, but I am wary of doing the same with my daughter-in- law - especially as mum-in-law and not mum. I am thinking of getting the book I have seen advertised about being a new grandparent. Do you know if anyone has read it on Mumsnet and what their verdict was?

Meanwhile, the knitting is proceeding at a quick pace, thanks to half term this week. smile

grannysally Fri 01-Nov-13 11:06:22

Just realised that the book I am thinking of was written by Gransnet! Is there such a thing as Granny-brain, similar to Mummy-brain? Anyway I have just ordered it. smile

Sandy217 Fri 01-Nov-13 13:54:58

It's even harder not to be seen as an "interfering Nan" when you live next door! I suspect that keeps me away more than it invites me in, though I get on very well with my daughter and her partner - thankfullysmile. I'm sure you will be fine. I can remember my mum, on seeing our daughter for the first time, screeching "arrgghh, she's laying on her face", which is how we did it in those days.

I've not heard any opinions on the new grandparent book yet. Perhaps if you get it you can do a review!? ;)

gimmer Sun 03-Nov-13 10:56:43

Hello Sandy217, and Granny Sally .Sue D and I met last week and had a great chat and a delicious pub lunch. Keen to include others and meeting more people next time. I am near Shepton Mallett not far from Frome. I go to the Wednesday market for veg I sell raw fleece but not knitting wool.

Sandy217 Sun 03-Nov-13 11:03:55

Hi gimmer - nice to meet you! smile. Sue said she had met up with someone. Sounds interesting selling fleeces, and going to markets too. Is it a big market at Shepton Mallett? Perhaps if it is regular we should advertise it in the listings?

pinkannie Sun 03-Nov-13 15:10:41

Hi - I have been a 'lurker' and 'dipper' on Gransnet for a while now. Live on Mendip and have four grandchildren two in this country and two abroad. Have only lived here for four years so getting to know the area and love it! Be interested to hear more about Shepton Mallet Market - I love Wells Market.
Annie

Sandy217 Mon 04-Nov-13 17:05:09

Hi Annie, nice to meet you! I live in south Somerset so anything you can tell me about your area will be interesting. Glad you are "dipping" back in smile

Oldgreymare Tue 12-Nov-13 20:20:44

Hello, I also live in Frome and am getting very confused! Before Gransnet locals, I met with a group of GNs in Birmingham (just over a year ago) that led to a meeting with other SW Grans in the Bristol area. More recently I met up with SW Grans from further afield, in Exeter.
I have introduced myself on the Bath local forum as they are so near, now I find there are many other local groups all over Somerset....... so many groups, so little time smile

Sandy217 Wed 13-Nov-13 12:38:53

smile oh dear. I think you will find it has settled down now! There is a group in Bristol, a group in Bath, then this one encompassing the whole of Somerset (minus Bath and Bristol!!). The north and south Somerset groups, although still set up, are not actually active. Sorry for the confusion!!!

Welcome all the same wink

Florrie64 Mon 06-Jan-14 10:28:01

Hi everyone! Have just joined. I live in Shepton Mallet but I grew up in Weston s M. Moved back to the West Country after eight years in South Wales. I went there to go to University where I met my husband and we now both work for a small family run archaeological firm based in Glastonbury. I have four sons, one stepson and one stepdaughter from previous marriages and now have four grandchildren, three boys and a girl. Looking forward to having some interesting discussions here, and maybe meeting some of you! smile x

Sandy217 Mon 06-Jan-14 10:41:47

Welcome Florrie64. Glad to have you on board. It seems slow but sure with our group but we'll get there! Please join in any time, add your thoughts, start a discussion, but most of all take part.

This foul weather doesn't encourage much - but at least we can share our thoughts on here without getting wet! smile

Sandy217 Mon 06-Jan-14 10:44:20

We do have a Face Book page now if anyone would like to add bits on there. What's on near you, interesting tit-bits etc, news you might have or something to make us laugh!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gransnet-Somerset/306345372818781?ref=hl

rootintootin Thu 06-Feb-14 19:15:06

Hi interested in meetups but I work full time with every other Friday off and weekends free. Interested in anything within 30 mins drive from Wincanton

Evenstar Thu 06-Feb-14 23:05:04

Hi there. I've just discovered this site so thought I'd jump on in smile
I have to confess to not actually being a Gran, although I am old enough to be one, being in my 50s. I am an older Mum having a child of 8, so I hope that's ok.
I just felt the need to beable to chat with others of a similar age to myself.
We live in Taunton and we Home school, so not your usual run of the mill people. We are also a very big Carnival family.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone xxx

Sandy217 Fri 07-Feb-14 10:32:32

Of course it's ok Evenstar. Welcome!! smile

Galen Mon 10-Feb-14 12:17:12

Hi. I'm a bit north of most of you. I live in Portishead. I was getting very confused with all these Bristol bath and Somerset forums. Thanks for the clarification.

Sandy217 Mon 10-Feb-14 14:56:14

Glad it's a bit clearer now Galen smile

yggdrasil Fri 21-Mar-14 09:12:28

Hi
I posted here last year when I was thinking of moving to the area. I have now been living in Burnham for nearly 6 months, and your email reminded me I should get back in touch.
Harriet

Sandy217 Fri 21-Mar-14 09:55:25

Hi Harriet and welcome smile