Gransnet forums

Local

Read a Good Book Recently?

(14 Posts)
Sandy217 Fri 08-Nov-13 10:55:07

Hi, I wonder if you fancy telling us about a good book you have read recently and saying a little about what category it falls in to? I'm not a big reader so like to be selective about what I read and sometimes wonder what to chose?

The good read I'm sharing here really is a series - a couple of years ago I went on a Nile cruise and someone suggested I might enjoy the Wilbur Smith Egyptian novels. I started with River God and thoroughly enjoyed it and have now read them all. It's adventure and history all rolled into one.

I'm really interested to learn what you consider is a "good read" at the moment - please tell smile

gimmer Fri 17-Jan-14 17:51:32

I recently read The Cazalets by Elizabeth Jane Howard. I have neglected her novels until now but was bowled over by The Cazalets and her Memoir, Slipstream. In The Cazalets which is in parts biographical, EJH illustrates in her female characters the many difficulties they had to lead meaningful lives in the years from 1900 to the fifties. Definitely not a tract and all points made in context of various characters. Very good characterisation of children.
I am now reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I am absorbed by it, cant put it down

Sandy217 Sun 19-Jan-14 15:13:54

Ooh, thanks for that smile. Always up for getting a suggestion for something new!

J52 Sun 19-Jan-14 17:30:17

Working my way through all of Rosie Thomas's books. Everyone seems very different. Loved "bad girls ,good women" and have just read "White" about the ascent of Everest.
Also working my way through all Anita Shrives novels - again all very different. Would also recommend anything by Anne Tyler. X

Sandy217 Tue 21-Jan-14 10:14:14

Thanks for that too! It's such a joy to know which direction to head in, if you know what I mean. I know we all have different tastes but it's good to get a few ideas smile

Florrie64 Tue 21-Jan-14 10:34:56

I mostly read non-fiction but on the odd occasion I do read a novel its usually something horror/supernatural like Stephen King or murder/courtroom drama stuff, John Grisham is really good. I also like historical dramas, just finished 'Labrinth' by Kate Mosse. Michael Chrichton and Dan Brown are others I have enjoyed too. x

Evenstar Thu 06-Feb-14 23:11:51

I am an avid reader. I enjoy historical and fantasy best, although I will try anything if its recommended by other readers.
James Rollins is very good and I'm very fond of Phillipa Gregory for my History fix.

Sandy217 Fri 07-Feb-14 10:30:35

I've read the White Queen etc by Phillipa Gregory (much better than the tv version I think!) but not James Rollins - will look out for him, thanks smile

Evenstar Fri 07-Feb-14 20:40:11

Oh I enjoyed the White Queen on TV, although the books are always better aren't they? smile Anyone read The Hunger Games? The books are incredible and I literally couldn't put them down. The film, however, I've only seen the first one, I found very hard to watch. Too realistic for me.

jennimiroslav Mon 04-Aug-14 18:47:18

Goldfinch by Donna Tartt is really good. Took me the first couple of chapter to get into then was completely engrossed. An original thriller with twists and turns, but real and believable. Absolutely loved it. X

Sandy217 Tue 26-Aug-14 17:23:04

oh thanks for that Jennimiroslav - I'll look out for it smile

susieb755 Tue 26-Aug-14 17:46:33

I thoroughly recommend My Dirty Little Book of Time, Liz Jenson - very different and funny

never2old Tue 09-Sep-14 21:59:56

I like books from the Choc lit publisher of romantic fiction. Read some really good ones like The Wedding Cake Tree by Melanie Hudson and Please don't stop the music by Jane Lovering.

Apart from the romantic and chick lit types which I love, I've also read some unusual, slightly weird books like Free Country by George Mahood about two guys who decide to see if they can cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats starting with absolutely no money, no bikes and no clothes!! with the intention of relying on the good nature of people for everything they needed including food and accommodation. I found it hilarious if not a bit far fetched, loved it.

Sandy217 Tue 16-Sep-14 13:52:15

Oh Free Country sounds like one to look out for - I like humour smile