Gransnet forums

Local

FREE! Passport to health

(1 Post)
Wallygrom Sun 19-Jan-14 12:53:57

People with health concerns can get more active in 2014 with free exercise sessions from Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Passport to Health service.

The Council’s exercise referral service also provides one-to-one support or group exercise in their local community or leisure facility-based exercise programme at a subsidised cost of £2 or less per session

The service – which is available across Bath and North East Somerset through all Aquaterra leisure centres and Writhlington Sports Centre – supports individuals with low activity levels and other health-related risk factors, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, overweight/obesity and depression.

People with such health concerns can now enjoy new opportunities such as free fitness walks (Wednesdays 10-11am), or free badminton sessions (Thursdays 10.30-11.30am) to help mobilise their joints, develop their strength and stamina and meet others for a fun, social work out. Both sessions run every week at Bath Sports & Leisure Centre.

Councillor Simon Allen (Lib-Dem, Radstock), Cabinet Member for Wellbeing, said: “Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Passport to Health service currently supports over 500 people each year to increase their activity levels to benefit their health and wellbeing. We encourage anyone who thinks they could do with a little more help to get active to get in touch and give it a try.”

The Council has also recruited a new instructor to help more people across Bath and North East Somerset to get active with free group fitness sessions. From January to March group classes and walks will be springing up in Radstock, Timsbury, Chew Valley, Twerton and Whiteway. Access to the free activities is available for those eligible to participate in the Passport to Health exercise referral service.

It is hoped that the New Year will prompt more people to visit their GP surgery and seek a referral for support to improve their health and wellbeing, including those with mild to moderate depression.

Anne-Katell Peton, the new Group Exercise Referral Instructor across Bath and North East Somerset, said: “My aim is to help people to rebuild their fitness and confidence in life through exercise. I help people to introduce exercise to their daily routine to get fitter, healthier and ultimately make their life more enjoyable. I enjoy teaching classes and make them entertaining in a safe and trusting environment.

“I’ve worked with the NHS cardiac rehabilitation services where I have been working with a range of people, including older people, individuals with long-term health conditions and those who are not very mobile. I’m really looking forward to developing the Passport to Health service and inspiring more people to get active in Bath and North East Somerset.”

It is hoped that taking exercise to the doorsteps of people in areas without a leisure facility will encourage more participation in regular physical activity. Anne-Katell’s team will be making use of green spaces and outdoor facilities, as well as local community venues, to provide the group exercise sessions.

Anyone interested in benefiting from the Passport to Health service – including booking onto the sessions – should call Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Sport & Active Lifestyles Team on 01225 396429 or email [email protected]. Alternatively, you can ask your GP or call the Sirona Lifestyle Hub on 01225 831852.