Gransnet forums

Local

Genealogy

(7 Posts)
Florrie64 Tue 11-Feb-14 10:08:04

I have been having a great time recently tracing my family tree, I have found three great Uncles that fought in the First World War and loads of other interesting things about my ancestors. Has anyone else here been bitten by the genealogy bug? smile

SueD Tue 11-Feb-14 11:08:53

Hi Florrie - yes. I am trying to trace my husbands mothers family with little success so far! We thought we had found some 'secret' siblings but when we got a copy of a marriage certificate it wasn't the case. He was quite disappointed having recently lost his only half sister. The hunt will continue however.
I have two first cousins that we have lost track of (one of whom i understand has died). We had good times as kids together and their parents break up led to us losing touch. AS you get older you appreciate 'family' more. On my side we are a pretty small family so I think it is important to re-establish the links. My youngest daughter is in touch with members of my husbands family that I have never met which I think is great.
It's a good hobby for a wet and windy day!

Florrie64 Tue 11-Feb-14 11:17:33

Yes it is SueD, and it is fantastic that today you can do so much of it from the comfort of your own home instead of having to trawl round public record offices like in the days before the internet! My problem is that there are so many people in my family tree, we seem to have huge families, especially the ones further back in time, some had up to 11 children! My family tree gt so big I had to split it into two, one for my Dad's side and one for my Mom's. shock

Evenstar Tue 11-Feb-14 22:03:30

Its fascinating isn't it? I have done a little research. I come from Oxford but my GrandFathers family are originally from Priddy at the top of Cheddar Gorge.
Story is that most of the families there are called Simmons and were originally outlaws that were given a royal pardon for helping to chase the Doones from Exmoor !

Sandy217 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:35:22

How interesting! My cousin did ours for us (only a small family though) and went back to the 17th century. I'm intrigued by my mothers side ... but am a butterfly brain and get interested in mothers mothers side etc and when do you stop? smile

Evenstar Wed 12-Feb-14 21:14:02

That's the trouble isn't it? You could go on and on. My friend is really INTO it and has traced her family back practically to medieval times.

Sandy217 Thu 13-Feb-14 10:16:09

wow smile