Gransnet forums

Local

Favourite Old Fashioned Sweets - what's yours?

(23 Posts)
Fontana Mon 24-Feb-14 21:11:02

I just found an online shop selling 'old fashioned sweets' mine used to be pink shrimps ( not those horrid things that are available these days) in fact when my son was born 33 years ago, my Mum bought me a whole box of 240 shrimps!

What are your favourite sweets?

Pittcity Mon 24-Feb-14 22:09:07

Rhubarb and Custards by the quarter.

emmasnan Mon 24-Feb-14 22:21:07

Thats exactly what I was going to say Pittcity, they are lovely. Also the Barley Sugar twists.

Fontana Mon 24-Feb-14 22:55:59

Welcome Pittcity ..yes they were nice too...do you remember those lucky dipper bags?

Fontana Mon 24-Feb-14 22:56:41

Hi Emmasnan

do you remember the coconut tobacco too?

Maniac Tue 25-Feb-14 13:24:07

Uncle Joe's mintballs.-Made in Wigan.

Fontana Tue 25-Feb-14 16:10:46

Welcome Maniac

Wow they are new to me! Who was Uncle Joe?

Great to have you on board x

Maniac Tue 25-Feb-14 18:19:40

Sorry I've strayed into Dorset local gp.
Look up balls on google for picture of Uncle Joe!!

Maniac Tue 25-Feb-14 18:22:19

Oops! try joe's mint

Maniac Tue 25-Feb-14 18:23:41

I give up

Fontana Wed 26-Feb-14 09:27:07

Hey Maniac - you are welcome here even if its not your Local!

cathybee Wed 26-Feb-14 12:56:01

my Fav old fashioned sweets are caramel log and cherry drops, I still have those two sweets to this day and why notsmile

Fontana Wed 26-Feb-14 15:03:49

Welcome to GN Dorset Local CathyBee and why not indeed!

I'm just munching on a Hobknob - maybe we need a new thread for favourite biscuit!

Are you in Dorset?

Fontana Wed 26-Feb-14 15:05:54

Maybe its Hobnob!!! heck I don't know...but I like em! blush

Lilygran Thu 27-Feb-14 11:56:47

Aniseed balls! My DDiL brought me a bagful from a shop in York. Thanks for letting me comment in your forum, Dorset!

Fontana Thu 27-Feb-14 14:24:32

LilyGran - you are more than Welcome - its lovely to have you here x I just bought a bag of pink shrimps this lunchtime.

emmasnan Fri 28-Feb-14 20:08:37

I'd forgotten all about coconut tobacco Fontana, it was lovely.
Does anyone remember having tiny pink and white sweets called rosebuds or rosehips I think?

As far as biscuits go I love Custard Creams.

Fontana Fri 28-Feb-14 22:13:41

Custard Creams emmasnan...mine is shortbread - has to be really short and crispy...

Nope don't remember the rosebuds - do remember sherbert pips though... :0)

grannyactivist Wed 19-Mar-14 01:21:27

My favourite old fashioned sweets are maple brazils - wickedly expensive, but truly delicious. Sadly they're getting harder to come by every year.
For those of you who are rhubarb and custard fans; I visited Claridges for afternoon tea with my daughter and we were each given a small pack of these with the bill.

Nelliemoser Wed 19-Mar-14 19:23:36

Barley sugars! Liquorish alsorts. I too seem to have strayed into Dorset.

Fontana Thu 20-Mar-14 16:38:44

Nelliemoser - you are most welcome!

grannyactivist Thu 20-Mar-14 17:45:59

Nellie I love liquorice allsorts, but I loathe barley sugar. I used to be very travel sick as a child and every long journey I ever went on resulted in me being sick. And every single time I was going on a long journey my mother or grandmother would make no preparations for the journey other than to give me barley sugars to suck. No paper bag or towel in readiness, just the certainty that sucking on a barley sugar would stop me from vomiting - and it never did. I used to beg and plead for a bag or towel to be sick in and all to no avail. Eventually I used to start gagging as soon as I put a barley sugar in my mouth and to this day I feel sick just at the thought of one. [yuck]

Fontana Sat 22-Mar-14 09:52:46

Grannyactivist - I know what you mean about the taste of things evoking bad memories, I was often poorly as a child and the medicine I was given was cherry flavoured, its only recently that I can eat Cherry flavour yoghourt, but cherry sweets or similar make me retch!