Gransnet forums

Local

How old do you really feel?

(19 Posts)
Fontana Thu 27-Feb-14 16:21:55

My daughter had her 30th birthday this week and announced she feels 'officially old', I'm 57 but feel.....that's the thing - how old do I feel?

Does your actual age differ from the age you feel in your head? confused

contrarymary Thu 27-Feb-14 17:11:14

In some ways I feel as if I'm still a youngster but in others I am definitely a 67 year old nanna. confused

Fontana Fri 28-Feb-14 14:22:15

Hi ContraryMary - I know what you mean...in my head I'm 35 but my body feels about 95 LOL

Great to have you on board - where do you live?

contrarymary Wed 05-Mar-14 14:46:06

Hi Fontana. I live in Gillingham, Dorset. We moved here a couple of years ago to be nearer family who live in Yeovil. Its a great part of the world. smile

Fontana Wed 05-Mar-14 15:24:08

Hi contrarymary - I come to Gillingham for meetings sometimes - maybe we can meet up for a coffee and cupcake one time when I am up there? I live near Dorchester

in the meantime if you know of any events going on locally that would appeal to Grandparents and you feel are worth listing on the site feel free to add things by clicking on 'New Listing' on the home page.

I'm hoping that a few more people will join the forums so that we can try and get some 'meet ups' happening on a regular basis.

contrarymary Fri 07-Mar-14 16:27:00

That would be nice. We now have a Costa Coffee in the town - a shame that so many other shops have closed!

emmasnan Fri 07-Mar-14 19:33:13

My son was 30 yesterday, like you fontana, in my head I'm 35 but the woman that jumps in front of the mirror when I look in it is definately much older!

Nonu Sat 08-Mar-14 08:35:15

I was reading in the paper the other day that the majority of "Seniors" feel about 10 years younger than their actual age .
I am sure that applies to me , if not more !
smile

Fontana Fri 14-Mar-14 16:17:47

Hi Nonu - that's good to hear...today after a spell in the garden sorting out the summerhouse I feel about 100! Mind you the weather here has been fab so that helps a lot.

FlicketyB Fri 14-Mar-14 18:23:10

I am not sure that I 'feel' any age. I am just me. DH says I was born aged 35 and haven't changed. I suppose that is just being me and not having a 'feel' date.

susieb755 Fri 14-Mar-14 21:35:37

I know what you mean emmasnan, I am sure I am only about 40, but DS is 35....

Fontana Sat 15-Mar-14 10:55:52

Ah emmasnan - I tell myself that the woman in the mirror is my Grandma and not me! I do look a bit like her at around the same age...mmmm maybe I'm just fooling myself LOL

grannyactivist Wed 19-Mar-14 01:24:54

My youngest children are only 24 and 22 and my husband is 50, so people always assume that I'm younger than I am. I'm 60.

Fontana Thu 20-Mar-14 16:37:56

WOW and a toyboy too!! well done you xx

grannyactivist Thu 20-Mar-14 17:48:40

Yes, but it's a bit worrying when your toyboy is a white haired middle aged man! grin
(Although the truth is that he's still the beat of my heart.)

Fontana Sat 22-Mar-14 09:46:04

Awe that's nice xx

page Sat 21-Feb-15 17:26:44

Hi Fontana, I have always felt younger than my years, I am now 75 I belong to a walking group which I go on each week, plus other walks in the week with friends, I swim 20 lengths none stop in the local swimming pool every Friday. I belong to the U3A with several activities there, I also belong to a book group at the local library.as my son and daughter live over a hundred miles in different directions I travel regularly by coach to visit them. I also fly out to Spain on my own to visit friends' have always been active and eat a meat free diet, I feel alive and healthy and happy. And unaware of my age completely, I think it is mental attitude towards life and a healthy diet.

rubylady Sun 22-Feb-15 06:14:46

When my dad asks what age my son is (over and again with dementia) and I say 17, he replies:-

"I wish I was 17. . . but I can wait"

He makes me laugh every time, bless him. smile

rubylady Sun 22-Feb-15 06:15:22

Btw, he is 75 years old but believes he is 65. I let him believe it. smile