Gransnet forums

Local

Do you grow your own food?

(8 Posts)
Fontana Tue 01-Apr-14 19:29:23

I have spent the weekend sewing seeds and re potting some tomato plants - what are you growing this year?

rockgran Wed 02-Apr-14 15:39:58

We've just eaten some of our rhubarb - first this year. It was gorgeous! DH will be growing tomatoes, cucumber, runner beans, beetroot and courgettes. We are still eating last year's out of the freezer but he enjoys it. flowers

Fontana Sun 06-Apr-14 23:12:28

Yes, me too...but my Rhubarb is not doing very well this year, the wet weather seems to have damaged it. But I do have tomato plants on the windowsill....and will grow much the same as you....

grannyactivist Sun 06-Apr-14 23:55:34

Yes we do. We have two fruit trees (plum and damson) in the garden and we have an allotment a short walk from the house. We are currently eating freshly picked leeks, purple sprouting broccoli and the first of this year's rhubarb. I still have gooseberries, damsons, redcurrants, kale, green beans and runner beans in the freezer and lots of garlic; enough fruit and vegetables to keep us going until the next crops come through. We grow a wide variety of vegetables, salads and fruits. Also we get both hen and duck eggs from family and friends on a regular basis and we have a pig that is kept for us (again by another friend) on a smallholding. We butcher one or two pigs a year and my husband makes his own bacon/gammon and this year he's tried his hand at charcuterie for the first time. Once a year we get a deer that my husband skins and butchers. (Now you know why I need three freezers!)
I also make elderflower cordial and sloe/damson gin and this year for the first time I made crème de cassis with a glut of blackcurrants. I'd never even tasted it before this weekend, but friends stayed over on Friday night and as it's their favourite drink we opened a bottle then. It did taste very good both as a liqueur and with champagne. smile

Fontana Mon 07-Apr-14 19:41:07

WOW Grannyactivist, I wonder how many other people in Dorset do the same?

contrarymary Mon 28-Apr-14 21:13:20

Since moving to Dorset , I have an allotment but haven't grown very much yet though had a great crop of brussel sprouts last year.

So far this year, I've planted potatoes and some broad beans. I also have rhubarb ( not doing too well) and strawberries.

I'm no expert but enjoy growing things. flowers

Fontana Tue 29-Apr-14 15:21:13

I have rhubarb that isn't flourishing - I wondered if it was too wet with all the rain...it is a shame because I love rhubarb!

FlicketyB Wed 30-Apr-14 09:19:52

I have always grown some fruit and veg. A plum tree and tomatoes in our first house, runner beans, apples, strawberries and tomatoes in the house before where we are now. Now, being retired and having quite a big garden I can have a big vegetable garden, it is all in raised beds, potager fashion, and try to grow as much of our vegetables and fruit as possible.

Grow more of some vegetables than others, salad veg are summer only, much of the veg is eaten by Christmas but apples, cooked (frozen) and fresh usually last until Feb/March and I grow all the carrots I need unless, after Christmas I need them raw. I have always had a chest freezer, but when an aunt died recently I was able to take her small chest freezer and this is usually in us from September to March.

I prefer kitchen gardening to flower gardening, but actually do not have enough time to devote properly to either so the success of my crops is very hit and miss. None of my sweetcorn even germinated last year and my soft fruit failed to thrive either and I have never got myasparagus to produce a crop yet.

But there is nothing to beat eating a tomato or bean that was only picked minutes before you ate or cooked it