Gransnet forums

Local

A different approach to porridge?

(3 Posts)
Geraldine62 Thu 12-Jun-14 06:05:14

I hear you Chicken/never2old

I did the same thing with left over cereal, these days however I make my own muesli with oats, mixed fruit and crushed nuts (buy these from the baking aisle, much cheaper) I then put fresh fruit on top!

I don't quite get the chocolate thing first thing in the morning either, but if it works for the kiddies so they eat a great power food like oats I'm all for it! smile

chicken Sun 08-Jun-14 21:37:02

Ugh, I just don't get the chocolate thing for breakfast. Breakfast is about the only meal my 4 year old grandson will eat without lots of persuasion and encouragement, he has always been a very fussy eater since weaning, but he does love his weetabix. My breakfast consists of branflakes, with 5 mini shredded wheats on top and the latest addition, some rice krispies sprinkled on top of that. My mixing of cereal stems back to years ago when I got sick of seeing bits of cereal hanging around in the cupboard in various boxes, so I threw them all together in a dish and ate them all. Now I can't eat just one kind of cereal on its own, it just seems boring. Maybe I'm just a big kid at heart too.

Geraldine62 Sun 08-Jun-14 20:16:35

We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right?
So how then do you get fussy grandkids to engage?
One of the staples I was brought up on, was porridge.
I can't tell you how much I loathe it!

The first thing I ask my GD is " have you had breakfast?" before launching into a day of activity, today she said "no" it was 11:00am and we had planned a picnic, but that wasn't to be until much later, so thinking on my feet I asked her to look in the cupboard of course all she found was a bag of oats- I make my own muesli, that way I never eat congealed lumpy stuff known as porridge, no added salt/sugar either!

However in my store cupboard I have an array of 'treats' such as maple syrup, honey, and hazelnut/chocolate spread - My dad used to make porridge with Lyon's golden syrup, but it was always too stodgy and sickly at the same time!!- there fore I never use the oats for porridge!

My GD and I then did a series of mini tests, after pouring milk on the oats and microwaving them for 2 mins to reveal the stodgy stuff........
we then took a teaspoon of said gunk and placed it into the taster tray ( a clean spoon holder/teabag holder) and proceeded to mix with the above treats one at a time until we came up with the favourite - chocolate spread mixed in with the porridge, to which my GD announced "it tastes like Ready Brek coco, but much yummier!" to which I replied "at half the price I wager??"
With a few slices of banana on top she thought she was breakfasting as a princess!
I love moments like these, have you had similar?