Gransnet forums

Local

shysal Tue 10-Jun-14 08:12:36

That's all very well, but the joints can't always cope. Multiple repetitions of a low weight would perhaps be beneficial, but lifting even 1Kg weights above shoulder height soon becomes uncomfortable for me. I walk and also do Body Attack and Legs, Bums and Tums classes, which include toning, to maintain my overall fitness. I am thankful that I can manage as much as I do as I age.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Jun-14 14:45:51

Strength training as we age

Never been sure whether to venture into the weights area at the gym? Not sure strength training will give you the right results?

Livia Health Club, an exclusive ladies only health club, located in Global House, Colchester have these words of advice for us, on the importance of strength training as we age.

Livia Health Club

Strength training as we age

Posted on: Mon 09-Jun-14 14:45:51

(1 comment )

Lead photo

Livia Health Club

Did you know that strength training for women is very important, especially as we age? Strength training is an effective method for losing weight, gaining lean muscle mass, losing body fat, toning the body and improving your physical fitness and appearance. The additional lean muscle mass will improve your overall body structure, strength and repair system, while increasing your metabolism, resulting in more calories consumed.

Did you know that strength training for women is very important, especially as we age?

As we age, some muscular, connective tissue and bone structure benefits received from strength fitness training are:

- Keeping or increasing muscle mass and helping to prevent muscle loss or atrophy
- reducing or preventing bone loss, improving posture, stability and balance
- maintaining a healthy range of motion and flexibility

Exercising also helps improve your state of mind and self-esteem.

By Livia Health Club

Twitter: @LiviaHealthClub