Gransnet forums

Local

Welcome to Gransnet Oxfordshire!

(24 Posts)
shysal Thu 27-Jul-17 17:52:54

Welcome Sloc1234. I am in Oxfordshire too. This local site is not used much, but thought you might be interested in the meet-ups which happen monthly at Dunelm Mill on the A420 or Swindon retail outlet, if you have transport. I have never been but they seem to be a friendly bunch. There are also occasional meet-ups in Oxford, at the Ashmolean. You will need to keep an eye on the Meet-up section of the main (not local) Gransnet site.
www.gransnet.com/forums/meet_ups_where_are_you/1235555-Swindon-meet-up-page-new?pg=1

Sloc1234 Thu 27-Jul-17 14:18:12

I forgot to say I am in oxford.

Sloc1234 Thu 27-Jul-17 14:14:47

Hi All,
New on today . Hope to meet some new friends during the summer . Perhaps a coffee and chat club?

hectorness Fri 07-Jul-17 08:41:48

I live near Bicester, have 3 children (so say grown up but my husband had to remind two of them that they were no longer teenagers anymore at the ages of 35 and 40!, 2 grandchildren age 12 years and the latest 1 month.

claudy Thu 06-Oct-16 08:56:07

Hi There I would be available except Thursdays as I sometimes have to have my granddaughter but any other morning I could make if you let me know where.

M0nica Tue 04-Oct-16 12:26:26

There are quite a number of us on the Wantage/Abingdon axis and we did organise a meet in Abingdon about six months ago, but had difficulty sorting a date and only three people turned up on the day.

It would be nice to organise another meet-up, when more people would be available.

What are the chances of a meet-up in Abingdon in November. There is a very nice teashop in West St Helen's Street called Rosies, that might make a good venue. My diary looks remarkably clear in November so I can manage any date, except, preferably, Wednesday mornings when I have a pilates class.

claudy Mon 03-Oct-16 17:08:42

I also live in wantage and would love to meet up somewhere

uknana Fri 01-Jul-16 14:06:58

Hi - I am in Wantage and would be happy to join you all somewhere.

Shushi Sun 15-Feb-15 20:31:23

Hi melisande
I used to take my daughter to art lessons in Abingdon. A small village called sunningwell.
There is also a fabulous sewing/material shop in Abingdon.
X

Melisande Sat 14-Feb-15 20:42:10

I look after my grand daughter in Abingdon - I don't live there it spend a lot of time there, so would love to meet others doing the same. Are any meetings planned, I wonder?

Shushi Sun 08-Feb-15 20:20:54

Hi everyone I'm new here... I live In a village near Banbury, I'm 42 and don't have any grandchildren but I feel very much out of place on netmums.
My hobbies are walking my dogs ( a pug and a parson Russell ) reading, knitting, crochet and sightseeing. Any knitters/crafters near me want to swap patterns and tips?. X

CamillaGN Wed 19-Nov-14 13:47:00

I'm sorry all - had a bit of a sabbatical due to ill health. Please feel free to organise meet ups under your own steam - no official GN sanctioning required, although we do offer advice on the most popular biscuits if that's useful?

Hope you've all been keeping well in this strange Autumn weather. Dare I mention the 'C' word? I feel very underprepared for Christmas this year - the joys of having been bedbound so long I suspect.

12Michael Wed 03-Sep-14 10:05:19

Although I live in Northants , Oxfordshire is close by , with Banbury and Bicester accessible by bus.
Mick

boheminan Fri 25-Jul-14 18:03:21

"Hello? Camilla??? are you still here?"

Finch Sat 19-Jul-14 20:10:23

I went to the last Oxford meet up at the Ashmolean and really enjoyed it even though my patch is really Berkshire. Wallingford would be perfect for me as the bus from Reading stops there. Is the Boat House anywhere near the Market Square as that is where the bus stops? I think rosesarered might be interested too. September would be fine for me

boheminan Thu 17-Jul-14 21:49:18

Hi FlicketyB. Yep, I agree it'd be sensible to leave meet up until September. I should be okay getting to the Boat House, though as I haven't transport, I'll need to check out buses but wait and see how everyone else feels first.

I think we need to get something onto the Main Forum, shall I get the ball rolling? grin or will you do the honours Camilla?

FlicketyB Thu 17-Jul-14 15:31:37

With summer holidays upon us, might it be sensible to leave it to September?

Suggested venue: The Boat House at Wallingford, it is by the river, can accommodate groups easily, and parking is usually reasonable (CamillaGN) can probably confirm that.

boheminan Thu 17-Jul-14 08:47:26

I went to the last Oxford meet up at the Ashmolean. It was fascinating meeting faces behind the names. We spent a few hours chatting. I said I would organise another meet up in Abingdon but blush life and health have slowed down over the last few months (I suffer from severe depression) and I've just not been in the right frame of mind to organise a 'P… up in a brewery', let alone a gathering of Purple People!
Life's getting back on track now and I'd like to go ahead and get something worked out before the end of 2014. Abingdon's quite central from other places in Oxon (I think?).
Perhaps you other Oxfordonians can suggest dates/meeting points? smile

CamillaGN Thu 17-Jul-14 07:44:13

A bit further South, near Wallingford, so yes, I should wander down to the river too! Sad to be chained to a computer in the summertime.

Is another meet up on the cards do you think?

FlicketyB Tue 15-Jul-14 21:56:42

There are plenty of us around and there was a very successful meet-up in Oxford in March. Unfortunately a clashing engagement meant I couldn't go.

boheminan Tue 15-Jul-14 16:26:30

The Thames is about half a mile from where I live - yes, it's a lovely place to be. Hope some more folk will join us soon - where are you in Oxford? smile

CamillaGN Tue 15-Jul-14 15:04:11

Hello Bohemian! Nice to be by the river in this weather I bet

boheminan Tue 15-Jul-14 12:07:04

Hurrah! we're reforming The Shire. I live in Abingdon.

CamillaGN Tue 15-Jul-14 11:01:28

Hello & welcome to Gransnet Oxfordshire. We'd really like to make things friendly and simple, so pop in here and introduce yourself, ask any general questions or let us know if you're having problems.

If you're interested in a meet-up in your area then you can contact me here, or get in touch via email on [email protected]

Hope to hear from you soon!
Camilla, Gransnet