Gransnet forums

Local

Great British Bake Off is back!

(5 Posts)
Wallygrom Mon 04-Aug-14 18:09:42

hi all
Dont know whether you are all as enthusiastic as me but I love the GBBO and I thought that some of you might like to consider sharing some favourite recipes - particularly fool proof ones or ones perhaps that you enjoy undertaking with grandchildren? I would love to see them here and perhaps any photos of your baking on FB

SueD Tue 05-Aug-14 16:41:34

Have a lovely easy recipe for apple cake. Moist and scrummy . Not sure how I add a photo here as I have a photo of the recipe.help anyone?

SueD Tue 05-Aug-14 16:43:29

Just a thought that I could add it to the FB page

Wallygrom Tue 05-Aug-14 16:49:51

Absolutely SueD - add it to FB with a picture and then perhaps just copy and paste the recipe here - it sounds lovely I have to say and with a glut of apples at the moment in the garden I am looking for ideas to use them in - I can only eat/freeze/crumble/pie etc so many!!!

Sandy217 Wed 20-Aug-14 13:06:43

I'm not a very successful baker myself but I do manage rock cakes and love them.

Rock cakes, like this rock cake recipe are one of the easiest and quickest buns to make. Rock cakes are great fun for children to make as they produce perfect bite-sized cakes every time. Serve warm with a little butter as a tea time treat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
•8 oz/ 225g self rising flour
•1 tsp baking powder
•4 oz/110g soft butter or margarine
•2 oz/ 55g granulated sugar
•4 0z/ 110g mixed dried fruit
•2 oz/ 55g currants
•1 medium egg
•1 - 3 tbsp milk
•Demerara sugar for sprinkling
•Oil for greasing
Preparation:
•Heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6
•Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large baking bowl, add the softened butter or margarine, and lightly rub together with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
•Add the sugar and the dried fruit and mix so all ingredients are well incorporated.
•Add the egg and 1 tbsp of the milk and mix to create a stiff dough. If the mixture is still dry add milk a tbsp at a time until required consistency.
•Lightly grease two baking sheets.
•Using a tablespoon divide the mixture into 12 mounds evenly spaced on the 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
•Bake in the preheated oven for 15 mins or until golden brown and well risen.