Gransnet forums

Local

New to the area

(17 Posts)
Mommasue Sat 09-Aug-14 20:51:23

Hi, I'm new to the area of Beckenham and caring for my grand daughter 4 days per week, however looking for something to do and see on my days off as staying with my daughter and fab family thou wee need we bit space.
Huge thanks

geminites Sun 24-May-15 17:01:23

I wonder why there are no recent local posts? I am just getting started on this site and would love to chat/and eventually meet up with women in a similar position as myself (or George Clooney if he's reading this). There must be hundreds of women in the Borough so why not get in touch? I have many interests, love driving so getting around isnt a problem, weekends away, holidays? Who knows what opportunities are out there - always much better shared :-)

treeleaf Thu 28-May-15 22:16:19

Hi geminites! This is a newish site and I think it is now starting to find its feet. From what I understand there will be a dedicated site editor starting soon so I'm sure there will soon be more of us on here. Whereabouts in the borough are you based?

geminites Mon 01-Jun-15 09:01:27

Hi Treeleaf

I did see that they were looking for a local editor, even gave a thought to applying for the position but decided that it would be rather a difficult nut to crack given my experience of living in Bromley all my life.

I'm in central Bromley what about you? What are you hoping to find on this site?

Libramo Mon 01-Jun-15 23:27:25

Hi
There need to be a few more of is. Maybe more people will enquire once we have a local editor? I'm not sure yet what I want to get out of it. I do go onto gransnet every day and post occasionally. I have another 'alias' for that.
I also go to Niffield Health and belong to U3A.

geminites Tue 02-Jun-15 09:48:14

Hi Libramo... an alias for airing your views.... what a good idea :-)
Nuffield in Hayes Lane, just down the road from me. Although I love swimming and the spa - not one for sweating it out in a gym... do that at Ceroc. Did invest in some tennis gear recently, just need to drum up some enthusiasm.
How long have you been a member of U3A and what got you into it?

Libramo Tue 02-Jun-15 15:25:01

Hi Geminites
( does your name mean a June birthday?).

U3A-wise I went to a talk at the URC near Boots this morning. I do a language class and used to do walks with them. I do pilates at Nuffield and the occasional Aqua.
I'm guessing you are a much younger granny than I am. Ceroc? Just watching it makes me ache.
Let's hope our area can attract a few more members. It's a very big borough.
Good luck with the tennis!
Do you ever post on the main gransnet? There are some very controversial people on there and it gets a bit heated sometimes.
What has happened to Treeleaf?

geminites Wed 03-Jun-15 08:13:21

Hi Libramo
Now you have got me thinking that maybe you are a Libran? No I am a Taurean. Name sort of came about because I make silver jewellery and use gems.. not very imaginative!

I did Ceroc for four years but hadn't been for almost nine so just getting back into it. Its great fun and I was surprised at the same old faces still there. I guess its not so much age as fitness/stamina, there are lots of people there 60+ and Im sure a couple of the guys are in their 70's but probably the average age of where I go would be around 50/mid 50's.

Pilates is very good for you. My friend wanted me to go with her but I couldn't find a class that fitted in with work or looking after my grandaughter which was a shame, she is also the one who plays tennis.

I have not posted anything on the main site yet, as once you get started I think you really need to spend time keeping up to date with other comments.

What laguage are you learnng? You say you used to do walks why the past tense?

Well lets hope others join this local site as you say Bromley is a big borough.

Yes I wondered what happened to Treeleaf?

Rowantree Thu 18-Jun-15 23:21:07

I joined U3A too, but my attendance has petered out recently because of other commitments.
I used to go to Philosophy in Bromley at the library a few years ago. I also did Russian in Croydon U3a. I'm also a member of Beckenham - it's closer to where I live - and am a member of the Gardening group.
I did attend Pilates classes for years with a friend but the time is no longer convenient.

I'm interested in textile arts - I dye and sell my own threads and fibres for sale to embroiderers and quilters. I like feltmaking but have little time for creative pursuits these days. Love gardening, love visiting gardens and historic houses, art galleries, museums, rural pubs for lunch, wildlife sanctuaries.
Never heard of Ceroc. What is it?

geminites Sat 20-Jun-15 16:32:48

Hi Rowantree
Sorry I didnt see this other message. How strange I also went to Philosophy at Bromley library a few years ago?

Sadly my gardening yesterday has somewhat left me in agony having pulled a muscle which will render me out of action for a while.

Ceroc its a form of Jive. Great fun and you get to tone up and get/keep fit at the same time.

So you are over Beckenham way, you know one of my favourite places is Kelsey Park. Used to take the kids there when they were small and now my grandaughter :-)

What keeps you busy nowadays as you say you have little time for creative pursuits?

Annabel70 Thu 17-Nov-16 12:19:06

I'm new to this site and as a Beckenham resident I'm wondering if this forum is still active. There don't seem to be any recent posts. Is there anyone
out there?

Annabel70 Tue 24-Jan-17 17:39:36

I'm a newish member of Gransnet, live in Beckenham and like Annabel70 am wondering if this forum is still active.

SuperGran57 Sun 29-Jan-17 00:08:19

Welcome Annabel70! I too am fairly new to Gransnet and have just taken over as Local Editor of Bromley Gransnet (literally last week).Please see my profile on home page. i am hoping that as the site develops we will attract more visitors, like yourself, and can arrange to meet up for a coffee etc.

If you have other friends who may be interested in joining us, please direct them to the site - the more the merrier. Also please add to the listings on the Bromley Local homepage - your favourite restaurants or day out for example.

Let me know what you hope to get from the site so that I can do my best to accommodate.

Annabel70 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:42:50

Hello Supergran and thank you for the welcome. I am finding my way around the site and have posted a couple of times. Through one of the threads I came across another Bromley resident too.
One thing that is puzzling me and with which I would appreciate your help is that when I have posted, my message always comes up green, which should only be for the OP, so where am I going wrong?

SuperGran57 Tue 14-Feb-17 09:15:23

Sorry for delay in responding but I have been on holiday. Hmm I'm not sure why your messages appear in green - unless it is the latest message that appears in green? Let me know if it persists and I will investigate.

Are you posting on the Local or national site? When you come across a fellow Bromley gran, please direct them to this site too. The more the merrier?

Annabel70 Tue 14-Feb-17 18:49:43

I am still having trouble with this SuperGran when posting on national and local sites. When I preview the message it's fine but then changes to green when it appears on the thread.

SuperGran57 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:33:28

Hi Annabel70 - Sorry to hear you are still experiencing difficulties. The posts all look ok to me. Can I suggest you get in touch with the Gransnet team who will hopefully be able to help you - [email protected]. Hope you get it sorted.