Gransnet forums

Local

Cilla

(4 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 16-Sep-14 19:53:12

Thanks for the link never2old.

Regarding the songs, I did recognise "Boys" The Beatles also covered that, it was on their first album ever, I got it for Christmas when I was about 8, I've still got it somewhere. Also "Summertime" such an old standard but I'm not sure it was suited to Cilla's voice.

Yes next week should concentrate on her breaking the charts so we will no doubt get "Anyone who had a heart" and others. Looking forward to it.

never2old Tue 16-Sep-14 19:29:14

Hi Terri. I'm looking forward to next weeks part 2. Just hope I remember to watch it as I don't watch much TV. I liked the songs she was singing last night but I didn't recognise any of them whereas next week should be all the ones she had hits with.

I noticed the references made by Cilla about being from a Catholic family and her dad wouldn't like her seeing a protestant but I got the impression it was fairly lighthearted and didn't mean too much by it.
Here's a link to the article from Radio Times online. www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-15/cilla-black-i-love-it-when-people-talk-about-me

TerriBull Tue 16-Sep-14 13:15:22

I do agree never2old, I think Sheridan Smith is a great talent I think she has the attributes to make a name for herself beyond television, I'm glad she is getting the recognition she deserves on the small screen now. I agree with you also about her singing, Cilla had two voices and the higher pitch wasn't to everyone's taste!

The Beatles and everything that came along with them were very much part of my childhood so it was great revisiting all of that, the programme recreated the feel of the period well. I'm looking forward to it moving along next week into the swinging sixties. Cilla was quite on trend in her youth.

I didn't realise that there was a certain amount of sectarianism between the catholics and protestants up in Liverpool back in the sixties, I guess the programme makers researched that.

I enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to episodes 2 and 3.

never2old Tue 16-Sep-14 11:29:22

Did anyone see Cilla on ITV last night. A three part drama documenting the life of Cilla Black from the early days singing at Liverpool's famous Cavern.

I thought it was really good. Sheridan Smith who plays Cilla and also appeared in The Great Train Robbers last year played the part brilliantly I thought. She must have spent hours watching clips of Cilla as she seemed to take on every little mannerism. I did think the singing was better than the real Cilla though wink and yes, I did wonder, but Sheridan sang live without dubbing according to a Radio Times article. Last night showed her when she first met up with 'er bobby', I remember her always going on about her hubby on Blind Date. He sadly died in 1999 from lung cancer.

I was only a little girl when all her hit songs were out but I remember I used to love watching the Cilla Black show that was on on Saturday nights, I wanted to be her. If you missed it, watch it on catch-up, well worth a watch.