Gransnet forums

Local

Half Term Plans?

(14 Posts)
constance Fri 24-Oct-14 16:41:00

I'm going to put some listings up of ideas of things to do with visiting grandchildren next week, starting with some Bristol Museum events. If anyone has any ideas of things to add to the listings then please do, or tell me and I will add them - I have a pair of lively five-year olds coming to stay for a few days, and I am hoping it won't be raining...

NanKate Fri 24-Oct-14 19:40:26

Garden Centres are brilliant for our 3+ and 1+ GSs especially if they have Soft Play Centres.

Our local one has fish, birds, rabbits, reptiles etc to see.

They play in the wooden Wendy Houses.

The cafe is always the place we end up.

constance Fri 24-Oct-14 22:39:40

Oooh, good idea. Any particular one you recommend? I can put it in the listings if you don't want to.

I do miss taking my Mum to garden centres, the ones near her on the Isle of Wight always seemed quite wheelchair-friendly and had good cakes.

NanKate Sat 25-Oct-14 17:09:08

Sorry Constance I am not in your area. However just type into your search engine your county or town plus Garden Centre and Soft Play and you should find some locally. We spend hours in them with our GSs.

Also I see you are in Bristol you will find most of the National Trust places now have half term entertainment for children and many grandparents have annual tickets so no entrance fee.

constance Sat 25-Oct-14 18:24:40

Thanks NanKate

Maniac Sat 25-Oct-14 20:26:06

Two good places are Oakham Farm Treasures near Portbury (Sunseeker and I went last Nov.) and the M-shed -on waterfrontof Bristol harbour. No entrance fee there.
I'm away in N Yorkshire for half-term week with DD2 and family.Staying at Askrigg.Anyone know the area?

constance Sat 25-Oct-14 23:25:10

Thanks Maniac

Is there a Gransnet local for near Askrigg?

constance Sat 25-Oct-14 23:29:38

There's a North Yorks site you could ask on as well:
local.gransnet.com/north-yorkshire

Jane390 Mon 27-Oct-14 09:07:16

Cadbury Garden Centre is a good place lots of animals and a play area.
Court Farm, Puxton Park, Noah's Ark Farm, Eastfield Inn have soft play days I will post up on local listings when I have a moment.

constance Mon 27-Oct-14 22:26:19

I had to work this afternoon so they all went off to Windmill Hill City Farm and had a nice time meeting up with some of my daughter's friends and their little ones. Tomorrow is the big expensive treat with a trip to the Zoo - they are so into meerkats at the moment!

constance Mon 27-Oct-14 22:26:38

Where's Court Farm?

constance Mon 03-Nov-14 13:22:44

We did the Zoo for one day, once we'd persuaded the boys to put their shoes on - they wore their tiger suits the whole time!

Going for a walk round the harbourside was good - peeking in Aardman Animations window to see Grommits, looking through the gate at the SS Great Britain and stopping at their cafe for a snack and to wave at passing boats. Then we walked past the dry dock and through the marina and found a lot of hungry ducks and swans. Perfect for five year olds to watch.

NanKate Mon 03-Nov-14 15:37:11

Too our GS (almost 4) on his first bus ride on a DOUBLE DECKER to Brighton. He loved it and then we enjoyed the Pier, having said that he was too small in height for most of the attractions.

Finally we took him to the Victorian Penny Arcade where we had taken his Dad about 30 years ago.

What memories. smile

constance Wed 05-Nov-14 09:47:27

The twins spotted the open top bus when we were in Bristol - have promised them that for next visit on a sunny day. Hoping they won't get travel sick on it as it will be open.

Must have been nice going to the penny arcade with all the memories, NanKate. I have the same feelings about an arcade on the Isle of Wight that we visited on and off for years. My sister's trick was to give every child a cup with just £1 worth of 2p pieces and when that was gone that was it. I found that worked really well - you have to keep an eye out for a bit of scrounging of winnings though!