Gransnet forums

Local

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:20:37

Decluttering- what's in it for me?

Samantha Bickerton, an Essex-based professional organiser and declutterer, shares her tips for how to start decluttering.

Samantha Bickerton

De-cluttering and organising your home

Posted on: Mon 03-Nov-14 15:20:37

(3 comments )

Lead photo

Samantha Bickerton

Is your home swamped by stuff? Research last year found that 34% of over 75s said their house was full of clutter. Many felt overwhelmed. As well as clutter’s negative effects on your mental wellbeing, the physical dangers are real: one in 20 over 65s had tripped or fallen due to it.
During National Organising Week from November 1st – 7th 2014, the Association of Professional Organisers and Declutterers is highlighting the benefits of cutting household clutter: you’ll gain space, a more relaxing home, feel less stressed and find things more quickly.
For the over 50s, less clutter can avoid the problems the research identified later on, and make any downsizing plans less scary. If you have space-gobbling hobbies – say, family history - it’ll stop materials spreading. Plus, extra space is very welcome if adult children or parents live with you. And although you may not want to consider it, the task of sorting your possessions once you’ve gone will be easier for family or friends.

Research last year found that 34% of over 75s said their house was full of clutter.

The challenge is getting started – so try my top tips for getting started decluttering.

1.Choose an area that gets everyday use so that you’ll immediately benefit from improving it. Make it small, e.g. a shelf, table or drawer, so it’s achievable.

2.Decide what to keep, donate to charity, recycle, give to friends/family, sell and bin. If it’s hard to decide, put the item aside and revisit it at the end.

3.Make a memory box for sentimental items you want to keep but don’t use.

4.If something is precious to you but you feel guilty about parting with it, take photos of it for your memory box. It can make letting go easier.

5.For a bigger project like a room or loft, schedule time into your diary. Work for only two to three hours at a time and take breaks.

6.For motivation, write down your decluttering goal and display it where you’re working, e.g. ‘gain more storage space’.

7.It’s easier to part with things if you focus on the future rather than now, e.g. other people will enjoy them, your plans for the money from selling items, etc.

8.If you get distracted or upset, take a break for 15 minutes.
9.At the end of a decluttering session, dispose of the items you don’t want immediately.

10.Actively be the gatekeeper of what comes into your home: don’t take home leaflets, free newspapers, etc.

Samantha Bickerton runs Organised Spaces which declutters and organises homes and home offices, and home stages property for sale in Essex. Contact us if you’d like to gain more space, make your home run more smoothly or if you’re selling your house. Find more tips in our blog. Visit APDO-uk to find professional organisers UK-wide.

By Samantha Bickerton

Twitter: @OrganisedSpaces

elvira Fri 07-Nov-14 12:59:17

Hi Samantha,

Didn't know about National Organising Week until I read your article. Since my divorce I've had my possessions strewn all over the county and it's been heartbreaking to think of them out in the cold.

I've been working on reducing and thinning the boxes and bags of clutter and I've just succeeded in bringing all my gear under my own roof! So, I'm taking it easy, perhaps a box a day, and my goal is a clutter-free Christmas.

Thanks for all your tips!

Shirl77 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:49:32

I must admit, when I have a house or room that has got cluttered I always feel very stressed and hassled. I totally believe in feng shui and how you surroundings affect how you feel and think.

samanthabickerton99 Tue 18-Nov-14 06:54:23

Hi Shirl77 I think a lot of people feel like you do, although they don't necessarily realise that it's the clutter making them feel that way. The change in energy when you cut down on clutter is amazing, isn't it?