Gransnet forums

Local

Horse Riding Grans

(6 Posts)
dizzydaisy36 Tue 18-Nov-14 23:02:11

Are there any grans out there like me who are still enjoying their horse riding or maybe you have taken it up recently? Would be nice to make contact as most of the riders I come across are either young or very competitive!

rizzy Tue 18-Nov-14 23:45:04

Yes, I'm a 63 year old gran who still rides.
I was 56 when I had my first horse a 16.3 irish Draft called Albert. I adored him and he was a super ride but after a traumatic divorce and aging ankles I sold him. I now have a 14.3 Dales called Jed( easier dismounting!!)and we ride out 3/4 times a week.
Now I'm retired and living alone it's great to have the time to really enjoy owning a horse and no one to complain if I spend the evening in smelly jods cleaning tack!!
My yard is friendly,in a fabulous setting with great riding over the moors, and there's all ages from young teenagers to Trevor, who at 72 still rides his arab
I used to dream of owning my own horse and spending all day at the stables just didn't realise I would be a pensioner before I had the time and money!!

alchemillamollis Wed 19-Nov-14 00:55:48

I still ride, although I'm on a break because of lack of fitness/health issues. I'd love to talk horses with you, though! I ride at local stables (not in Lincs).

dizzydaisy36 Wed 19-Nov-14 23:36:03

Rizzy you certainly sound a very active rider. I am 61 and have ridden for the last 25 years, nothing serious just for fun. My mare is 16h and a percheron x welsh so quite a chunky lass. Not easy to fall off, except when the saddle slips round her chubby tum! Unfortunately I need the mounting block to get on board these days (I think I always did). Sounds lovely hacking country. Unfortunately here in Lincolnshire no moors and very limited hacking. Well done Trevor for still riding and an arab too, he must be a braver rider than me. Yes I am retired too and although I have the time unfortunately I have no one to ride with anymore. My daughter due to young children has just sold her horse and says she will share mine in the better weather. This should work ok as she likes jumping and I like all four hooves on the ground!

Alchemillamollis sorry to hear of your health issues. Hope you will be back in the saddle shortly. I have laid my mare off until the winter is over. She is looking very hairy and muddy but enjoying her holiday. I am missing riding so have just booked a lesson at a local riding school, I must be mad. Not sure I will enjoy it but it is worth a try and will fill up a Tuesday morning every week.

rizzy Thu 20-Nov-14 13:34:44

My lad is very hairy too at the moment he's out during the day and I bring him in about 3.After an easy summer it's back to mucking out and nets!! Not bad yet as the weather is good but dreading the cold icy days with frozen taps when we have to get water from the spring.....it's impossible to stop it splashing down the boots!!!
We had a nice quiet hack yesterday as I don't mind riding out on my own as the moors are beautiful at this time of the year .We are not confident on the roads(not sure if it's him or me)so stick to the bridles unless we have company, then we are very brave.
He was diagnosed with navicular in 2012 but with heart bars he has been fine and apart from not jumping he is back to my mad dales.

EnglishRose Mon 27-Feb-17 23:08:56

I used to ride. My (late) sister had 2 horses and they were a handful. One managed to throw me and broke my third finger!

But eventually I persevered and in 2005 I went to Arizona, on my own, drive around, saw the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Oeak Tree Canyon and then drove to Yucca, near Nevada, where I stayed on a Ranch for 2 weeks and rode in the s=desert.

It was entirely magical and I long to do it again but I have the dear old knee issues and cannot get on or off anymore.

My elder granddaughter is a good young horsewoman already as there is a stables nearby.

It's good to watch her riding.