Gransnet forums

Local

Competition! - Win Calico Pie cd of children's songs

(10 Posts)
constance Sun 23-Nov-14 23:34:44

It’s competition time here on Gransnet Bristol - with a chance to win a copy of Calico Pie, a delightful introduction to old and new children’s songs from Crispy Juice, a talented Bristol-based family of musicians, writers and artists. Here’s what they say on their website:

“Paul (Father) sings and plays the guitar, Ellen (Mother) runs the office, Uncle Gus records the songs, Grandma Kate knits and checks the spellings. Great Uncle Clem paints the pictures and the children, Lorcan, Naoise, Maire and Roisin, are the quality control board.
Our name Crispy Juice came about when Maire, aged 3, asked for a glass of crispy juice referring to her favourite drink - fresh cold apple juice.”

The Calico Pie collection of songs and poems for families includes a bit of William Shakespeare, William Blake, Edward Lear, Robert Louis Stevenson and Christina Rossetti, alongside the traditional nursery rhymes we know and love. It got a four star rating from the Independent on Sunday, as well as a glowing review from Cerys Matthews on her BBC Radio 6 programme.

sunshine

Have a listen to some snippets of the songs on the website and then enter our competition to win a copy.
crispyjuice.squarespace.com/about/

To win a copy of Calico Pie
Comment below this post with the name of your favourite childhood song or rhyme, and also what song you like to sing with your grandchildren now.

The winner’s name will be drawn out of a hat on December 10th.

constance Mon 01-Dec-14 10:46:23

This sparked memories of my Granny and Grandad teaching us all to sing "Underneath the spreading chestnut tree, there I held you on my knee" and Grandad twinkling as he sang it to Granny.

My dad used to sing Lily of Laguna to us, as well as other classic children's songs.

At the moment, my grandsons like to sing songs from Frozen but I am trying to broaden their horizons

henbane Fri 12-Dec-14 00:04:35

I used to love "who killed cock robin" and "this is the house that jack built". My mother was tone deaf so tunes didn't feature largely but she loved poetry and used to read it to us. Unfortunately none of my grandchildren has been very interested - though "in a cottage in a wood" with all the actions always goes down well

wallers5 Fri 12-Dec-14 06:22:54

I used to love 'Dance to your Daddy my little laddie' because I adore my Father who was always away fighting in wars.

My grandchildren are mad on singing & know so many words. We play nursery rhymes in the car & at the moment their favourite we all sing together is The Big Ship Sails on the ...

Singing brings joy to us all.

constance Fri 12-Dec-14 10:38:06

comp deadline is now 17th dec - please share!

yggdrasil Fri 12-Dec-14 11:21:34

My Mum used to sing Shrimp Boats are a-coming, I have no idea why :-)
I don't sing to my grandchildren, my daughter inherited her grandmother's voice, but it definitely missed me!

cathisherwood Fri 12-Dec-14 14:01:14

We went to the animal fair - the birds and the beasts were there
The big baboon by the light of the moon was combing his auburn hair
My grandchildren love the actions - the monkey fell out of his bunk and slid down the elephants trunk - at this point they are pushed off my lap and onto the floor and then we all sneeze with the elephant

slough Fri 12-Dec-14 14:12:18

I used to love 'If you're happy and you know it'. I still enjoy singing it and doing the actions. One of the songs I like singing with my grandson is 'Five little ducks went swimming one day'.

constance Mon 15-Dec-14 09:26:51

Lovely - been singing quite a few of these around the house after reading the comments!

constance Wed 24-Dec-14 10:18:41

AND THE WINNER IS..... Slough!

Congratulations, there is a Calico Pie cd on it's way to you from Crispy Juice Headquarters.

Thanks everyone for sharing your song memories.
Still humming them here.