Gransnet forums

Local

Save the Ancoats Dispensary!

(6 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 03-Dec-14 12:18:31

The Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary opened in February 1828 as a voluntary hospital funded by the nearby residents. Now under threat of demolition, we bring to you a plea from the Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary trust, who are calling on the people of Manchester to save it.

This year has been a promising one for the Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary - but the threat of demolition still looms!

At 8pm sharp on the 23rd July 2014, the Ancoats Dispensary Trust announced its successful Stage One application to the Heritage Lottery Fund’s ‘Heritage Enterprise’ for initial support towards a full grant of £4.5million. But in order to unlock this Stage One funding (a grant of £770,000 that would be used to undertake immediate stabilisation works) we must raise an additional £55,000 before 28th February 2015. To do this, we have launched the 100 days appeal through crowdfunding website Spacehive.

100 DAYS APPEAL AT SPACEHIVE

Ancoats Dispensary Trust have launched an urgent appeal on the crowdfunding website Spacehive - asking the people and businesses of Manchester and beyond to give whatever they can in the interests of saving the Ancoats Dispensary. These pledged donations will allow us to safeguard the building. Raising this money by the deadline of February 28 2015 is the only way we can move forward.

This is your opportunity to safeguard our local landmark!

If you are one of the thousands of people who have already shown your support - then we are asking once again to please help us meet this extremely urgent challenge by pledging, donating, or by helping to spread the word to friends and family through Twitter and Facebook. You can pledge your support to the Ancoats Dispensary at our Spacehive page

Manchester Central Member of Parliament Lucy Powell said "The Ancoats Dispensary is a fantastic building at the heart of my constituency of Manchester Central. I am pleased to support Ancoats Dispensary Trust’s 100 days appeal to raise the funding necessary to kick-off the first stage of the project. I hope that people in Manchester will get behind the project and give their support."

We will only receive the allocated Stage One Heritage Lottery Fund money if and only if we meet our £55,000 Spacehive target! So please help us save the beating heart of Ancoats... pledge your support today!

Geraldine62 Sat 13-Dec-14 12:03:15

Thanks Lucy for starting this thread. smile

The dispensary is really in the beating heart of historical Manchester, this area has undergone massive changes by developers in recent years as they cash in on city centre dwelling.

If you are interested in the history do please all follow the links given, I am sure that when you do, you too will want to support this campaign.

here is a link to the Facebook page also:
https://www.facebook.com/saveancoatsdispensary?fref=ts

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 13-Dec-14 13:01:15

Yes I have a personal and vested interest too as my mum trained and worked there and is still very closely involved so I will take a look and share on FB - thanks Geraldine62.

Geraldine62 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:51:55

That's brilliant thanks Cari, the more we share the better! smile

Iam64 Sun 14-Dec-14 08:20:43

Thanks for this Cari, shared on Facebook!

Geraldine62 Mon 23-Feb-15 18:52:43

Great News for our local landmark www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/ancoats-dispensary-campaigners-finally-given-8693865