Gransnet forums

Local

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Jan-15 12:15:32

Working towards a smoke-free Bristol

It’s never too late to stop smoking. Just ask Yvonne Lindo, one of the faces of the new Bristol City Council Smokefree Southmead billboard campaign launched this week.

Bristol

Smoke-free bristol

Posted on: Mon 12-Jan-15 12:15:32

(1 comment )

Lead photo

Grandmother, Yvonne

Yvonne started smoking as a teenager but decided to quit as she was shocked that her three-year-old granddaughter was pretending to smoke - like her. She also wanted to be around to see her grow up and knew the sad statistic that 50% of smokers will die 10 years too early.

Living in Southmead meant that Yvonne could get support and help to give up from the smoking clinic at Greenway Health Centre. There, she attended fortnightly one-to-one meetings and used a prescription patch and inhaler to help her give up. The course of treatment took about six weeks and she has not looked back.

I now feel a lot healthier and find other ways to deal with stress. I've realised that smoking didn't help with that anyway.

Yvonne has been smoke-free for a year and says: "I now feel a lot healthier and find other ways to deal with stress. I've realised that smoking didn't help with that anyway."

You can spot Yvonne as one of the faces of the new Bristol City Council Smokefree Southmead billboard campaign which launched this January, encouraging people to start the new year on a healthy note. It's the start of a pilot campaign in Southmead that will last six months, and if it proves effective in helping people to give up smoking then it will be rolled out to other parts of the city and beyond. Fingers crossed!

For more information about quitting smoking in Southmead please ring 0117 922 2255, text READY to 80011 or visit www.smokefreebristol.co.uk

By Bristol

Twitter: @GNBristol

constance Sun 01-Feb-15 23:36:38

I think it's brilliant. I was chatting to someone the other day who was talking about her two nieces, who have started noticing that the adults all go outside to smoke, and think smoking is part of being a grown-up. It's made her think about stopping now.