Gransnet forums

Local

Does Colchester Town Centre need another coffee shop?

(11 Posts)
Pittcity Mon 09-Mar-15 08:49:00

The old Internet cafe is soon to reopen.

The old Lush has opened as a cafe and florist.

It seems that every other shop in Colchester Town centre is a coffee shop. There are even some that are immediately next door to others.

Do we need so many? Will they survive? What else does the town need instead?

TerriBull Mon 09-Mar-15 09:49:49

Pittcity, just reading your post about the "old Lush" opening a cafe. For a nano second this conjured up a wonderful vision of an elderly dipsomaniac staggering about in the manner of Mrs Overall doing his or her best to deliver half full cups of coffee, most of it in the saucer grin Then I realised you were no doubt referring to one of the "Lush" soap chain of the beautiful wafting scent and that image evaporated immediately, shame!

I'm not a Colchester resident but have visited it a few times, nice town and yes we are all awash with coffee shops these days, but in spite of the competition, a lot of them do seem to be very busy. I guess people just love their coffee when out shopping. Apparently it's the last thing that some are prepared to cut back on if they ever hit hard times. I used to buy a lot of coffees out then I discovered coffee pods.

Pittcity Mon 09-Mar-15 10:41:18

Oops TerriBull....bit of an unintended double entendre there grin

We wondered if the cafe has a florist section because they could not get rid of the smell of the previous occupant.

Victoria08 Thu 04-Jun-15 18:38:10

There are far too many restaurants and coffee shops in this town. Whenever a shop becomes vacant, it invariably gets turned into an eatery. unusual and individual shops have all but disappeared. The council are ruthless and Money grabbing.

Forest Fri 05-Jun-15 18:28:52

I suppose a coffee shop is better than a betting shop, a pay day loan shop or a boarded up shop. I can never understand how so many coffee shops are able to make a reasonable profit.

Forest Sat 06-Jun-15 00:10:18

The last comment *"I suppose a coffee shop .... etc" was made by me - Eloethan. I don't understand why the poster is identified as "Forest". Does anyone know how that could have happened?

Forest Sat 06-Jun-15 00:11:03

It's done it again.

Pittcity Sat 06-Jun-15 08:28:20

Eleothan , did you set up a separate identity for Gransnet Local? Some people have as it is an option.
This is a discussion on Colchester Local.

Forest Sat 06-Jun-15 09:16:49

Not that I recall. I'm interested in Colchester because I used to live there, and I'm in the area every other week because my mum still lives nearby. But I don't recall setting up a separate identity. I'm mystified.

decor Thu 11-Jun-15 07:45:17

Would anyone be interested in a fabric/craft materials shop in Colchester (specifically fabric crafts). I know there are two already but these seem outdated and muddled/messy(personal opinion). I find it difficult to find fabrics with the design quality found on-line. Would be great if you would let me know your thoughts!

MadGrandma Fri 19-Jun-15 20:51:06

I agree with Decor. For a town this size I would love to see a massive craft shop of any description. Years ago you could find fabrics even in the market. Today the two shops you are talking about are usually not worth visiting for dress fabrics. We are always being told that dressmaking is making a comeback - witness the number of sewing magazines now available - but try to buy decent fabric locally and you luck out. Even going to London doesn't mean you can find decent fabrics. And I don't really like buying online because I like to feel the weight and quality of anything I'm going to use.

I would WELCOME another fabric shop in this area (basically anywhere within a 50 mile radius would be good!)