Gransnet forums

Local

Rose Veal

(1 Post)
sarahbaileycooksetc Sat 28-Mar-15 16:36:24

I noticed that veal was listed on the Hindle's Butchers entry on Gransnet and always on the lookout for something different to cook I decided to give it a go.
From as long ago as I can remember, due to the inhumane conditions that veal has been raised in, the meat has had a bad name. However, there is no longer any need for this view, because as an alternative to male calves born into a dairy herd being slaughtered or exported where they might be treated as factory animals, they can be raised naturally and then butchered as rose veal.
I bought a roasting joint, a piece of loin and decided that serving it with a dollop of horseradish sauce or mustard on the side, was a bit too 'grown-up' for a young animal. Instead, I made an ordinary roast gravy and added a splash of marsala which is often used in Italian veal dishes, and stirred in a teaspoon of mustard.
I suggest you roast your veal for 20 minutes per 500g plus 20 minutes at 180C, Gas 4, of course if you like your meat rarer, or more well done, you will adjust this to your own taste.
I really would like to see more rose veal for sale in our butchers, I'm sure if people were reassured as to the animal's welfare prior to slaughter they would be happy to try it.