Gransnet forums

Local

Herefordshire Libraries - Proposed closure/reduction of services

(2 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 11-Aug-15 19:06:01

I have written to the Hereford Times on several occasions about this, and had the letters published.

I first wrote to praise the rural library vans - and the next thing that happened was that they were withdrawn! I have been involved in running a community library since then - it is supported by the library who provide the books, and we volunteer to issue the books. Unfortunately this is likely to die out in our village, as the market during which it takes place has folded. We are going to give it a try at another time, but I am not optimistic.

I am appalled at the reduction in library services, as I believe that libraries are the mark of a civilized society.

elvira Tue 11-Aug-15 15:12:04

Calling for Herefordshire GNs to share your views about the proposed cuts to your local library services.

Please visit www.herefordshire.gov.uk and search for their Budget & Proposals 2016-2020 document which will tell you about the proposed cuts. There is a questionnaire you can complete which sets out the various other routes for cutting expenditure over the next five years.

How do you feel about the proposed cuts? How will they affect you and your family - remember it is also your local Herefordshire Council facilities that will be removed, along with the books and public access computers.

Your local authority has some tough decisions to make. Should the retention of our library services at their current level be a priority?