Gransnet forums

Local

To smack or not to smack naughty children

(4 Posts)
lucycakeface Wed 07-Oct-15 17:34:41

I just wondered what other ladies think about smacking children. Hubby and I had a stall at a big boot sale on Sunday. On his way back from the loo, hubby saw a little girl (about 8 years old) who was shoutting and screaming at her Dad because he wouldnt let her buy something. She eventually began to punch her Dad in the back and kick him in the legs. Her embarrassed parents then announced that they would be returning to their car PDQ. To say that we were shocked by her behaviour would be an understatement!

downtoearth Wed 07-Oct-15 17:49:24

well I think smacking would give a mixed message",you are not allowed to hit me but I can hit you".
I dont agree with smacking children.I have smacked when mine where young,and became so upset myself that I stopped early on and looked for other ways to deal with situations.

Iam64 Wed 07-Oct-15 21:05:53

Smacking is not a good idea, especially in response to the kind of behaviour you describe, which is extreme, to say the least. It may be she has some kind of special needs or alternatively that her parents don't know how to set limits, i.e. parent her properly.

Nelliemoser Thu 08-Oct-15 17:23:26

Given the childs behaviour it sounds as if aggression is already rife in that family. More violence aka smacking will prolong the problem. It does sound as though the parents need a crash course in managing their child.
Are you sure she was not autistic or such like?